Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

My Samsung led tv has horizontal lines from the left side of

My Samsung led tv has horizontal lines from the left side of the tv going to the middle of the tv when it is first turned on. After 15 minutes the lines disappear and the picture brightens. What is wrong with my tv, and what is the estimated cost to get it repaired?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number?
2. Does the same issue occur if you use a different video source like the DVD player, VCR, game console, etc.?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I find out the model number?

I haven't tried the vcr or dvd.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Model number is XXXXX the rear, the owner's guide, the receipt, and the box. You will need to try watching a DVD to see if the same thing happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the model code is ln46a65a1f.
I don't know how to use the dvd player.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Do you want to repair this yourself? Do you have experience? Tools?

Or are you just trying to figure out it's reparable?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just trying to figure what what is wrong with it and how much it will cost to repair it. Or is it cheaper to buy a new tv.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Please read this whole post, and keep replying to me until you're satisfied. Once you're satisfied, you can click "Accept" (that part is important... it's how I get paid). You'll also be afforded the opportunity to leave me positive feedback and a tip. While not required, both would certainly be appreciated!

This is definitely reparable. It will just boil down to cost, so the real question is: Will this be cost effective? The answer is... probably. It's tough to say for sure without getting inside the TV, but the good news is that some hands on diagnostics wouldn't run you more than $50-$75 (in my area) and most of that would be put toward the repair labor should you decide to have it repaired.

So, what's causing this? Things like this can be caused by a couple different things. More specifically... the power supply, the main board, or the LCD panel (the screen) could be causing this. The power supply and the main board would normally be cost effective to repair, and these are the most common issues. The panel would be far too expensive to consider replacing but that would also be much more rare, so the odds are on your side. Again, though, we won't know for sure until the technician gets inside to have a closer look. Typical repair for this model is $350-$550.

If you'd like, feel free to post back here with the technician's findings and the repair estimate. I'd be happy to let you know what I think. You can find a good technician at Just go there and enter your zip code, they have a pretty thorough listing.

Dan T.