Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have an Emerson 32" LCD TV - model #LC320EM9 and there is

I have an Emerson 32" LCD TV - model #LC320EM9 and there is a black smudge/streak appearing on the right hand side of the screen.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which you're trying to watch?

Also, if you press the MENU button on the TV remote (not the cable box remote), does the MENU come up OVER or behind the streak?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've had the TV for 2-3 years. The problem occurred about a month ago.

I have a DVD player connected to it. It is the secondary TV for my DISH satellite so the box isn't connected directly to it. Issue occurs whether watching TV or movie.

The menu is small and comes up in the center of the TV. The smudge is further right.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Is the smudge or streak a clearly defined dark spot, or is it like a faded dark spot?

Also, are there any click sounds, buzz or hum coming from the set?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is not clearly defined. It fades down and across.

No clicks, buzzes or hums.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

This indicates that one of the backlight inverter panels on the TV is failing. There is one on each side of the panel and they are responsible for lighting up the LCD panel and providing a bright picture. There are no resets or buttons you can press to fix this problem and the set will require component level replacement in order to operate normally 100% of the time again. Average cost for this type of repair is around $200 parts and labor. You can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.