Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

I Have a 40" dynex lcd tv. Need to reset the set up wizard.

I Have a 40" dynex lcd tv. Need to reset the set up wizard. I need my tv set to a cable box and accidently entered the set up to regular cable so it scanned for channels.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How do you have the cable box hooked to the tv?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The cable box is hooked through an HDMI cable. I just purchased the Dynex last week and have had the cable box since August of this year.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok when you put the tv on that HDMI input, you get no picture?

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get "No signal". I have tried switching the TV to HDMI1 and also Component/AV thorugh the Input button. I think it needs to be on the Component/AV to go through the cable box. I messed up in the Set Up wizard when I first hooked the TV up. I thought I had the Cable/Satellite box highlighted to choose for the set up, and instead I had Cable highlighted so it scanned for channels.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have component cables hooked between the tv and the cable box? (5 wires, green, blue, red, white and red)

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, but I do have the component cables for hook up. I thought all I needed was the HDMI cable and was planning on hooking my DVD/VCR to the TV with the component cables.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
You are correct, all you need is HDMI, I was just asking because you said you though the tv needed to be on component input to get it to work.

The way you have it hooked up you should just need to go to the HDMI input and turn the cable box on to get a picture.

That initial setup is really irrelevant, you can completely skip that when hooking a cable box to the tv and still get it to work.

Try hooking your DVD/VCR up with the component cables like you planned, then put the tv on the component input and let me know if you get a picture.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hooked up the DVD/VCR. Still get "No signal", no picture, just "snow" and if I try to flip the channel on the TV, I get the message of "Please do auto channel search"
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok you are on the wrong input, you see the INPUT button in the top left of the DYNEX remtoe?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes - I get "No signal"/no picture when I switch the input to Component/AV and the same message/no picture when I switch to HDMI1
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Well that is not good, you said you bought the tv last week, is this the first time you tried to hook it up or has it been working for a week and just stopped?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought it on Wednesday last week and started to hook it up that day but ran out of time to finish. This is the first chance I had to sit down to work on it so that I could input the information from my Comcast/Infinity remote also, so that the remote can control everything like it does with my old TV and the cable box. Since I was getting the "please do auto channel search" message, that it why I was thinking it had to do with the Set Up wizard that I did get through on the first day I hooked it up.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
No, you do not get that message when on HDMI or component though right?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I don't get the auto channel search message with the HDMI or component. Just says "no signal" and I have a black screen.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. You have done everything correctly that I can see.

All you need to do is hook up the component cables or the HDMI cable to the back of the tv and the back of your device. Turn the tv on, put the tv on that input. Turn your device on and you should get a picture. Nothing else is needed.

So since you have two inputs doing the same thing and both not producing a picture, it is safe to assume that you have a broken tv right out of the box. This is rare but not unheard of. I am sorry, but I think you will need to bring it back to best buy and get a replacement.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you for your time! :)