Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

I have a Westinghouse model W4207 42 inch LCD tv. I recently

I have a Westinghouse model W4207 42 inch LCD tv. I recently moved from Texas to Vermont. On arrival I set up the tv, connected it to an HDMI cable box, powered it up and there is no picture. I used it daily prior to the move which took approx 4 days to drive and another 2-3 days before I got around to the tv. The only thing that happens is the blue power led on the fron cycles on and off as I power it up or off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this. I am sorry for the delay though, do you still need assistance with this?

Please let me know.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do, thanks.

Joe
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
When the power light is on, if you look close at the screen in a dark room, do you see a slight glow? Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing at all, just the blue power led comes on.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have electronics experience, what type of test equipment would I need. I no longer work in an electronics shop so do not have access to o-scopes and such, but I do own meters of several manufacturers that do the basic volt, ohm, amp, frequency type of thing.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
A meter capale of checking DC voltage and resistance will be best.

What you need to do is remove the back cover and inspect the power supply for any capacitors that have bubbled tops. Let me know what you find....If you are unsure what you are looking for you can post a picture to me and I will inspect for you. (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They all look fine except CS27 the top appears slightly bubbled.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
That is enough to cause your problem. You need to replace it at this point.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I just replace the cap or any other that looks like it may of bubbled or should I look into a replacement power supply?? I'm more than capable of replacing them, I'm just concerned that I may do this and have other parts of it fail in a month or two. Or are just the caps marginal in this model and the rest of the circuitry is probably fine??
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
We have replaced many caps in this model and never had another failure, so I would say you should be safe with replacing just the caps. Also I would put a higher voltage rating in then the one you take out. If you take out a 10v then put in a 15 or 20v cap, that way the problem should not come back.

If you replace the entire power supply board then you will probably have caps fail in that in a couple of years too...

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please remember the accept button when finished.

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last question I promise. Wink I usually like to be sure about a final prognosis when working with my company's clients. So even tho I suspect the caps I would try to go the last step to convince beyond a doubt that it is the power supply. Is there a voltage test or two I could perform that would positively identify the power supply as the problem??

I work in electronics myself but have never fiddled with TV, just satelite, FM, audio equipment and fire/security/access control(which is what I do now). So even tho I find a probable cause for failure I usually go that last step so I say it was the part I claim with confidence.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
You cannot really test the voltages because the problem is the caps are not filtering out the ripple correctly and that cannot be seen on the meter.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help, I'll replace and see what happens. Appreciate the assistance. Everything you've told me has correlated to things I had heard about this mocdel but I had no idea how to proceed.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good, let me know what happens!

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.