Steven, Technician
Experience:  Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.

Samsung TV keeps Turning Off And On.

Customer Question

My Samsung TV keeps turning on and off while the little red light at the lower right hand corner blinks.

What's wrong and how can it be fixed?

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Does the standby/timer light blink continuously or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had the set for a year.

I was in the process of dealing with Comcast on the phone over a remote that was not functioning and a problem with the "Xfinity on demand" function on the cable.

As I was talking to the Comcast representative who was trying to give me directions over the phone to rectify the problems, the TV began to turn on and off, The red light on the lower right hand side of the front of the TV blinks continuously.

Can you help?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

I don't have good news for you at all.

The flashing light would indicate that there is a short on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $200 parts and labor. Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no such experience. Is there a warranty on this set?
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

One year but Samsung is aware of this problem and may repair the set for free.

Contact the retailer and get the number for Samsung. They will tell you if you are covered beyond one year for this issue.

Expert:  Steven replied 4 years ago.

I thought I would comment here and just offer some assistance for my team member. The expert whom answered your question is absolutely right. Your TV does have a short in the power supply circuit, the reason it turns on and off and acts like it has a mind of it's own is because the there are power supply capacitors that are leaky, it is not a direct hard short to ground, the capacitors leak voltage causing the 5 volts system control line to drop below a level where the main board cannot sustain proper operation, once the TV turns off the circuit recharges and the 5 volt line returns to normal letting the unit turn on again only to fail a short time later.

Samsung is aware of the power supply problems in these units and for sometime they were covering them under warranty regardless of age. Though the program has ended, that doesn't mean they will not still help you with a one time warranty concession if you contact them. it is really up to Samsung as to a warranty extension.

I hope this helps clarify the situation with your TV.

Steven, Technician
Experience: Ma. Master Technician Lic. Authorized Warranty Support.