Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i have a 52in rca model P46731AT,serial

Customer Question

hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX i have a 52in rca model P46731AT,serial XXXXXXXXX chassis PTK169PGA. the convergence appears to have quit. tried to adjust but it has no affect at all. is this a part that can be replaced? or is this the end???? please tell me what i want to hear. marty
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
First let me say sorry I don't have a quick fix for this problem.

The problem you are describing is a very common one in CRT projection sets like yours. The convergence circuit has failed and will require component replacement in order to get the set working again. This repair should be done by a qualified technician, these sets can be dangerous to someone who does not know where not to touch, also it is very easy to cause more bad than good if you don't know what you are doing. Also the use of a digital multi meter and the ability to solder very well will be required. I cannot stress enough, you must be able to solder very well or can cause many problems.

If you have a meter and solder equipment and would like to complete this repair yourself please let me know and I will give you instructions on how to complete this repair. Parts can cost you anywhere from $50-$150 depending on where you buy them at. But remember I have seen quite a few people destroy perfectly good sets by not knowing what they are doing so just take that as a caution.

A good repair shop will run you somewhere between $300-$500 to repair this for you.

However, with all that said, we would never recommend a repair on a set with the age of yours and this is why…. See when these sets get old they become brittle, just opening them up and moving he boards around to do the repair can cause 5 more problems next week, solder connections are prone to letting go and becoming bad just from moving it around. The components inside the set also have connections in them smaller than the hair on your head and these can let go just from being moved around. In addition to this parts availability starts to become a problem, if you got it repaired now and then in a week you had another problem and they couldn’t get the parts needed you would have wasted your money on the first repair and still have to throw the tv away.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you very much! i have a friend that is an electricion. he has agreed to try if i get instructions. i don't have anything to lose at this point. i hate to lose my tv as i can not afford to replace it and the size has spoiled me for anything in my price range.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Can you get us a picture of the problem please? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, i am new to computers so i am learning as i go. i took video of my tv that was much better than the pictures. it is a vlc media player file but i am having trouble uploading it to you. any ideas? marty
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Can you email them to gina@justanswer.com with the subject FOR TIM? She will forward them to me.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is the message i got when i emailed XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXXDelivery to the following recipients failed any other address?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you get it?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I do have it, and have looked it over. I am sorry to say but you have a lot more going on than a bad convergence circuit there. Did you know that your red tube is 100% bad and possibly your blue and green are very weak?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
first off, i dont understand about , accept answer. i did not click it because i was afraid you would think i was all done. how does this work? no, i had no idea what was going on, these symptons occured over a 4 day period. are these tubes replacable? i am still willing to explore the hope that this can all be repaired. thank-you
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do not worry about the accept answer requests, those are sent out by computer and can get annoying, just disregard them please.

The tubes on this set are discontinued, you can no longer purchase them.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have not given up yet. i have 2 leads for the color tubes. i'm just waiting for replies. if i manage to get them is the convergence component available? marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi, it's me again. do you happen to have a way for me to find out the numbers on the tubes? the lead i have says the numbers for the tv do him no good. he needs to know the tube numbers. thank- you . are you being paid for your time, or is that something i should work out with you? let me know, marty
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hello? is anybody there????????
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
The part number for the tubes are:

Green - 225807
Blue - 225808
Red - 225806

However they used to run around $300 a piece, not sure what lead you have on them but its normally not cheap and $900 just for the tubes is a lot to put into this tv and then you still would probably need to tackle the convergence problem.

Tim