TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

The sound on my TV is not working is there any way to fix

Customer Question

The sound on my TV is not working is there any way to fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

Ok, so you double-checked to make sure your TV speakers were turned on, correct?

If so....do you hear a Hissing sound if you turn your TV's volume control all the way to maximum??

That tells us if the Audio amp is functional.

Next...do you use a cable or satellite box...you could have the Audio setting on that box set to Dolby Digital output instead of PCM audio.

Lastly, is your DVD or Games missing sound too??

That would simply tell us your Audio processor is bad if none of the devices get sound when playing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I get a very faint hissing sound when the volume is all the way up.

Second, We have a receiver from AT&T and I haven't found the place to see if that setting is set to on the ATT remote only on the TV remote and on the TV it is set to PCM.

Third I just tried a DVD and the sound did work

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

Ok....semi-somewhat GOOD NEWS.....your DVD works fine. No problem with the Audio amp or Audio processor in the TV set.

Now we need to concentrate MORE on why the ATT isn't delivering Audio.

IF YOU ARE CONNECTED using an HDMI connection, try connecting your Cable box to your TV set using a set of COMPONENT cables ! The signal is just as good as HDMI, and it may very well EXPLAIN why you lost sound on your Cable box !

If you can do that.....Grrreat!

Then tell me if your Cable box is a MOTOROLA (brand name and model is found on the front faceplate of the cable box)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The cable box is Scientific Atlantic. And I am not sure we have other cable to hook up to the box. I will be honest my husband does most of this and he is at work
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

That's ok, don't respond back to me until he can do the re-wire.

But...there are other options that you can try.

First, if you don't have a set of component cables around the house like this set --

graphic

Then we can try TWO PAIRS of the 3-wire composite cables and simply connect "temporarily" ....All we need to do is use one set for the Green, Blue , and Red VIDEO outputs on the cable, and connect them to the same colored Video INPUTS on your TV set. Then the 2nd set of cables we use the White and RED Audio outputs on your Cable box and connect them to the White and RED AUDIO inputs on your TV set, then select that input just like you select the DVD's input. The inputs are numbered where you connect them on the TV set, and some are "boxed in" so you know that COMP 2 box or COMP 1 box is what you are connected to.

The good news is that most of us have a bunch of cables like this one laying around the house after years and years of buying equipment that used these cables --

graphic

So for TESTING...they work perfectly fine connecting a Cable box to a TV set's Component input jacks.

And...it gets you UP AND RUNNING NOW....not a day or two later !

I'm a Tech....I find ways to get my customers up and running as fast as I can.

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.
Here is a picture showing you how to connect up your Cable box to your TV set, using component cables or simply two sets of the 3 wire composite cables.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Simply start by connecting the AUDIO red and white, Then color match the plugs on the two units with the rest of the cable plugs left....