Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

my lg tv keeps turning itself off and on reapetedly

Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Do you get picture and sound when it comes on? Or do you get just a power light?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no sound just the load up screen then it shuts off and after about 5 seconds it turns back on...over and over again.......I won the tv sometime last year so around 1 year old!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
could hacking the usb to play movies have caused this?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
When you say hacking what do you mean, what did you do exactly?

Did this happen right after you did this?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I programmed a universal remote to get access to the menu settings of the tv, then went to option 3 and changed divx to 1. It played the first movie I tried but not all of them, thought this could be due the audio so changed that too. The last movie I tried had picture but no sound. I didn't have the batteries in the tv remote to stop the movie so I just shut the tv off manually and that's when it started.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok but the tv has been working since you did this?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it did but only to the point where I changed the "audio amp" setting to something like "sas***" or something like that. But like you said, it was working until I shut it off manually. So are you saying this had nothing to do with it?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Yes I would say you had nothing to do with it, sounds like a failure on its own.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks