Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My Samsung HLT6187sx/xaa DLP TV has sound but no picture.

My Samsung HLT6187sx/xaa DLP TV has sound but no picture. Here's what I've tried so far:
- checked LEDs - they all work
- replaced DMD board - no change
- switched LED driver board into internal mode - picture comes back with some very strange hues
There appear to be two small LEDs blinking on the LED driver board. When I start the TV with the driver board in the factory external mode, the TV won't come on, the status LED on the front just blinks ~20 times, then the TV reboots. This repeats for a total of 3 startup attempts, then the TV stays in standby mode.
Any idea what's wrong? Next steps?
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this. I am sorry for the delay though, do you still need assistance with this?

If so please let me know and we will begin.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I do. I'm stepping out for a few minutes, but should be back at the top of the hour.
Do you have a slight glow to the screen in a dark room?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, there is.
You have not replaced the main board?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, just the DMD board that the DLP chip mounts into.
Ok I think its your main board, I would replace that at this point.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What gives you confidence it is the main board? After throwing a DMD board at it, I'm reluctant to toss more parts at it without a good chance of success.
Well, normally a glow means the optical (dmd, led driver, leds) is working, that only leaves the main board.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm buying a parts TV of the same model that supposedly has a bad light engine but good main board, so here's hoping it works after I make the swap! Thanks for the guidance.