Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My 42 inch Vizio HD LCD Tv is flickering and when you get upclose

My 42 inch Vizio HD LCD Tv is flickering and when you get upclose it sounds like a muted helicopter
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the TV?

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which you're trying to watch?

Also, if you press the MENU button on the TV remote (not the cable box remote), does the MENU come up clearly, or is it also flickering?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Model # Vizio VW42L HDTV10A

We got in May of 08 at

We have Direct TV, Wii, and DVD player

Happens on all devices as if it is independent from device

Can see menu but its still flickering

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

What color is the Vizio power light during this?

Also, do you hear any clicking sonds, buzz or hum coming from the set?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Power light is silver and I hear a sound like a muted helicopter when I am upclose

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Does it sound similar to a turn signal relay clicking or no?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, these symptoms indicate that either the power supply output rail that feeds the backlight inverter boards (there is a slave and a master), is failing/oscillating, or the backlight inverters themselves are failing. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs both under no load, and under load to determine if the power supply is fully functional. If so, then the backlight inverters will need to be replaced. Average cost for this type of repair is around $400 parts and labor. There are no buttons you can press or resets you can perform to fix this problem and it will require component testing and replacement in order to operate normally once again.

You can use the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!