Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My Sony LCD Projection tv will not turn on. The standby light flashes continuously with n

My Sony LCD Projection tv will not turn on. The standby light flashes continuously with no pauses. I have tried all the quick fixes on this website, nothing.
When messing with the remote, I can get the lamp light to flash too.
model # XXXXX I have let it sit overnight, factory reset, etc.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
There is a very good chance that we have a bad lamp here. Which is about the best case for you.

Do you still have your owners manual? If so there are instructions on how to remove the lamp. I think the first thing we should do here is take it out and inspect it. We might find that it is shattered and know without a doubt that it needs to be replaced.

If you do not have you owners manual let me know and I will get you instructions on how to change the lamp.

Also if you don't know about the lamps in these sets here is some information: These lamps are a "consumer replaceable item" meaning they are made for you to change. This is similar to changing a light bulb in a lamp but allot more expensive and a little more difficult. These lamps last on average anywhere from 1 to 3 years before they need to be changed. They also burn out based upon the number of hours the tv is on and the number of times the tv is turned on in its life. The more you watch the tv the faster the lamp will burn out, and the more you turn the tv on and off the faster it will burn out. There is really no way to prolong the life of a lamp other than not watch the tv, so most people don't worry about it to much and just expect for this to happen ever couple of years.

If you have the owner’s manual, follow the instructions and remove the lamp, tell me what you see. If you don't have it let me know and I will get you the instructions to remove it.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't find the owner's manual, sorry. The tv was given to us by a relative.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok go to the link below, click on the OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS (PRIMARY MANUAL), this will download the manual for you.

Tim

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-home.pl?mdl=KF50XBR800&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=manuals#/manualsTab
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I took out the lamp and it does appear that the filament inside it is broken/burnt' out.
Do you know about how much these lamps cost? Can I get them at a store or do I have to order it usually?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
A good lamp normally runs around $130-160 depending on where you get it. You might find it at a couple of local tv shops but no brick and mortar stores carry them. I recommend www.dlplampsource.com myself if you are going to order it online.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.