Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My Element FLX-3210 tv wont turn on. Red indicator light

Customer Question

My Element FLX-3210 tv won't turn on. Red indicator light stays on but it won't power on with remote of buttons on front of tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you plug it in or turn it on, does it do anything at all? (light blink, click nosie, etc.)
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When I plug it in, the red "stand by" indicator lights up. Nothing happens when I press the power button, no noise and nothing on the screen changes.

Unit is approx. 2 years old.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $300-$400 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I read a few posts on other sites that stated that when you connect the tv to a laptop through the VGA input, and the laptop is set to turn off monitor after a certain time, it turns the tv off. I was using it through the VGA input the last time it worked. Have you heard of this?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Even if the tv was turned off due to the vga that would never stop it from coming back on, so I am sorry but I do not think that is the issue.

Tim