Josh C
Josh C, Technician
Experience:  I have been an electronics technician for 17 years, Tv's VCR's, DVD players, home and car audio.
11634809

My moms RCA big screen will not come on. The power button will

My moms RCA big screen will not come on. The power button will light up, flash 3 times and then shut back off.
Category: TV
Expert:  Josh C replied 2 years ago.

Josh C :

Welcome to Justanswer!

Josh C :

if you look on the rear of the set, the model number will be located on a label - please let me know what it is.

Customer:

just a sec and i will get that

Josh C :

ok

Customer:

it is R52WH77

Josh C :

alright.. when you try to turn on the TV, it tries three times and quits?

Customer:

yes sir

Customer:

the green power light comes on, blinks 3 times and then nothing

Josh C :

do you hear a slight beep or chirp sound when it tries to turn on?

Customer:

yes sir. it sounds like it wants to come on

Josh C :

ok.. this is typical - on the same lable as the model number there should be a chassis number - probably ITC222 or ITC222a - can you verify it?

Customer:

ITC222A

Josh C :

ok!

Josh C :

do you know how to solder?

Customer:

she says that it started doing this about a month ago so she started to just leave the tv on all the time but my brother didn't know better and shut it off last night. she said this is the first time it hasn't came back on.

Customer:

ummm no lol

Josh C :

argh!

Josh C :

This is a common problem in these sets...

Customer:

sorry :(

Customer:

is it fixable?

Josh C :

the solder joints on the flyback transformer will develop ring cracks from years of heating and cooling.

Customer:

ok um what is a flyback transformer?

Customer:

i'm completely dumb to these things lol

Josh C :

if you resolder the flyback, it will typically fix the set about 80% of the time..

Josh C :

the flyback is the part that generates the high voltage that "fires" the CRT tubes in the set

Customer:

so it has to be taken in somewhere?

Customer:

is it something that i could get to?

Josh C :

well, the repair CAN be done in home... but let me outline this for you.. What is the Manufacture date on the set?

Customer:

may 2006

Josh C :

alright..

Customer:

mom wants to know if holding the power button down when it flashes, if that will help it?

Josh C :

this TV can be fixed, like I said.. the flyback resoldering fixes it about 80% of the time, but there is the other 20% of the time, where the flyback is actually bad..

Josh C :

no

Josh C :

it wont

Customer:

what about just cutting the power off and on?

Josh C :

now, the flyback had been discontinued, but they become available every now-and-then

Customer:

so best bet is to get a new tv?

Josh C :

if you have a shop do the repair you will be looking at a bill between $300-$500 dollars, depending on if the resolder works, or if the flyback needs to be replaced.

Customer:

ok so new tv it is lol

Josh C :

well, if you keep trying, and are patient, the set will turn back on.

Customer:

ok that is awesome!!!

Customer:

we've been trying for about 2 hours now

Josh C :

this may sound strange - but try thumping the set on the bottom left corner (when viewed from the rear of the set) with the heel of a shoe - then try turning it on.

Customer:

ok let me try that

Customer:

how hard do i need to thump it

Josh C :

"medium"?

Josh C :

lol

Josh C :

on the case of the set NOT the back panel

Customer:

now you tell me!!! lol

Josh C :

let me see if the flyback is available...

Customer:

ok

Customer:

ok the "thumping" isn't helping

Josh C :

unplug the set and let it sit for a few minutes.

Josh C :

then plug it back in and try to turn it back on

Customer:

yes i tried that a few times thinking that it would reset it or something

Josh C :

well, if the flyback loses a bit of charge, it "may" spark enough to turn back on.

Josh C :

I just checked the transformer - its coming up as NLA (no longer available)

Josh C :

so it may be time for a new set if resoldering does not cure the problem

Customer:

i'm thinkin for the price of the resoldering it would be easier to just buy a new set

Customer:

any other advice that you could give me?

Josh C :

not really, but yes, the money may be better applied to a new set.

Customer:

should try unplugging it multiple times? think it would help?

Josh C :

possible, but no gaurantee

Customer:

ok well thank you so much for your time.....guess we will keep trying that and then if nothing else we will go to town and by a new tv

Customer:

buy*

Josh C :

ok, have a great day!

Customer:

thank you and you also

Josh C, Technician
Experience: I have been an electronics technician for 17 years, Tv's VCR's, DVD players, home and car audio.