PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
12720903

I have a haier tv - 22 inch, flat screen, with DVD player,

I have a haier tv - 22 inch, flat screen, with DVD player, purchased 3 years ago. It was working great and then I lost the picture. Sound works. I'm concerned with cost to fix this. Any ideas what is wrong and how pricey will it be to fix?
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

Are you being able to pull up the menu?

What is the exact model no.?

Regards,
Pramit
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I can't pull up the menu.

Model is HLC22RW

Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.
Shine a flash light on the screen and check if you see dim images or not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't see any images
Expert:  PramitP replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info. The biggest problem could be a faulty panel. The panel carries the backlight so if the backlight doesn't work, the entire panel needs to be replaced. If it is the panel then you better buy a new TV or claim for a free replacement since the set is hardly 3 years old. You can call Haier Customer Support and ask the representative to transfer your call to the supervisor. Tell him that you've been a loyal customer to Haier and now this has happened. If they won't consider your case you would never buy Haier again and would never recommend anyone either. Usually if it less than 3 years, most companies give a fair concession on the panel or a new TV. Believe this works with bigger companies like Samsung, Sony etc. (not all the cases though)

Now there can be three things which could cause this problem. Firstly the inverter is not working. Secondly the power supply is not working properly as it is the one who provides the 24V to the inverter. Thirdly, the main board. Now the main board is the one from whom the power board gets the command of sending. If the main board is not being able to send the command the there is no point in replacing the power board or inverter board.

Your best bet would be replacing inverter board(also known as backlight inverter board, which in this set is incorporated with the power board). If you want to repair it yourself then you should be having proper knowledge about the internal circuitry of the TV.
You should also require a multimeter and soldering equipments and schematics.
I always recommend my clients to contact seller and confirm model no. before making a purchase. Take photographs or mental picture of connections with board before replacing so that it won't be confusing later.

If you want to fix it yourself you must possess basic testing skills, like using multimeter, soldering, own a schematic of this model etc. If you opt for a repair at any shop it will cost you at the max $200(unless it's the panel). I hope it should be done in less than that. Hope it helps.

I'm sorry to give you such a bad news but it would have been unprofessional of me and unfair to you if I wouldn't have given an honest answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT button ONLY if you are SATISFIED with my help, so that I'll be credited for assisting you.
Positive Feedback and Bonuses are greatly appreciated!!
Please DO NOT ACCEPT IF you wish to leave a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.