Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Sharp Aquos picture slowly continues to darken after it is

Sharp Aquos picture slowly continues to darken after it is turned on. Very dark after about 30 minutes. No light settings or reset to factory helps.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Additionally, what is connected to the TV for devices (DVD, cable box, etc.), and do you have the same issue regardless of which you're trying to watch?

Also, if you press the MENU button on the TV remote (not the cable box remote), does the MENU come up bright as normal, or also dark (when the screen goes dark)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It has been connected to two different Comcast RNG200 DVR's. It happened on both of them. Currently it is not connected to anything, but the LCD's that are connected do not have a brightness issue. I think the menu itself came up as birght as should have been when is pushed it. Again I went to auto resets and specific contrast, brightness, color, etc resets and it did not brighten the picture. The TV never was in continuous use during the approximately 6 years we have had it. I would guess it probably may have been used no more than 10 hours on the average a week. Hopefully this gives you enough to make a reasonable diagnosis.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
I need to know for sure if the MENU comes up brightly as normal, or is affected by the darkness in order to make an accurate diagnosis.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just turned it on and will let it run for awhile before I answer the question. Initially the menu setting is as bright as it should be.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
Okay thank you. There are two things that this could be, and knowing the status of the MENU when the screen goes dark will tell me which it is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The setup menu still is bright.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

This indicates a problem with the mainboard in the TV. If the MENU also got dark, then the backlight inverters would be the culprit. Seeing as the MENU is just as clear and bright as it was prior, then the panel, T-con (LCD controller), and the power supply are all likely fine. The mainboard is the board that routes all of the AV signals and processes them to be sent to the T con. There are no series of buttons you can press, or adjustments you can make to cure this problem. Average cost to replace the mainboard is around $350 parts and labor.

You can locate a tech at the link below:

If this answers your question, please click "Accept". Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!