Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

I have a Magnavox 37" HD flatscreen that will not turn on.

I have a Magnavox 37" HD flatscreen that will not turn on. The power light will come on, the screen will flash and then it all shuts off. And it keeps doing this about every 5 seconds. Any ideas on what is wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage?

Does the standby/timer light blink continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I bought the TV in 2007, and it just started happening yesterday. Yesterday we were able to turn the TV on, and today it's just blinking. The TV is on a surge protector, and we did have a high winds last weekend in which the power did blink once.

The light will turn on dim as the screen will flash, the light gets bright and then it all shuts off. It's taking 4 seconds for the dim green light to go bright, 4 seconds for the bright green light to shut off and about 7 seconds before the dim green light and screen flash happens all over again. It just keep repeating it, and won't turn on.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the T-Con board, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the T-Con needs to be tested. The T-Con will run you around $300 to have replaced. If the T-Con tests good, then the LCD Panel has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $800) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set.

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So my boyfriend was messing with the TV. He hit the power button and channel up button, and the screen came on. It's working fine now. Does that indicate that it's a power supply outputs problem or T-Con problem over the screen itself? Or is my TV just special?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

This does indicate that the TV is special:-)

In all seriousness, what you have is an intermittent failure on the TV, I've seen this many times. The set will start to have the problem more and more frequently, and eventually will not power up at all.

The most likely cause if the power supply, (as failing capacitors in this circuit will cause the behavior you're having, and can sometimes be "reset" until they ail completely).

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this something you recommend fixing, considering the age of the TV, or would you suggest buying a new TV? Is the power supply likely to fail again soon after I have it fixed? And roughly about how much do you think it would cost to fix, from your experience?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
That is a tough call. I personally would not put the money into the set myself, as these TVs are prone to failures, and its likely that you will have another problem a couple of years down the road. Grim news I know, but that is what I've seen in my experience.
Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. Maybe I'll be able to find a good deal on "Black Friday" since it's perfect timing for that.