TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

My new Samsung smart TV will not connect to the Internet.

Customer Question

My new Samsung smart TV will not connect to the Internet. I have been through all the troubleshooting via the e-manual, on with both Samsung and Time Warner/RR support (one claims its the others fault) ....very frustrating. Any answers out there?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Well, we could use several things from you to assist you --

The correct TV model number found on the sticker on the right edge/rear of the TV cabinet, look for this --

graphic

Next the Brand Name and Model number of your Router. I suspect Time Warner supplied it to you to connect to your computer, but even if you Find Time Warner on the FRONT of the router, they are using someone else's router. To find out, look at the model number of the router, found on the rear or the bottom of the router. It most likely will be a brand name like ACTIONTEC or similar. I use the Actiontec MI 424-WF Rev 4 router, so the model number is XXXXX by the name. It doesn't have the word MODEL right by the number.

Lastly, are you connected WIRELESSLY to your TV set? If so, is it built in to your TV? Or are you using a USB Wireless Dongle connected to your USB port?

If you are using a Network Lan cable instead of wireless, let me know that.

And what does your Network Test in the TV's Network Settings tell you??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK...Sorry about that

I am connected wireless with the Samsung dongle. My router is a Lyinksys/Cisco E2000

There is no network test for that TV...it does however show me that I am connected to the router in the network set up page (I have all addresses for IP, DNS, Subnet mask default gateway etc...) and says I should contact my ISP. When I lok at the status page its says I am not connected to my router.

My TV is the Samsung UN46D6050TF
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.

Ok, looks like we may have some work ahead of us.

First thing I noticed is your Router has a DEFAULT setting that let's the router auto-select WPA or WPA2.

Let's set that to WPA Personal first, because most TV sets use WPA instead of WPA2.

However, the KEY is whether or not you FOUND your wireless connection and whether the TV allowed you to INSERT your password !

That's important, because it means you presently have established a connection between your TV set, and your router !

And if you did.....then you should be able to access your TV widgets, get the Yahoo website and play around with the weather and recieve it.

Yes, I use that when I'm in a customer's home separating Network connection problems from Widget/Samsung related Software setup issues.

Now, you mentioned your STATUS page, and I have to assume that is your TV's STATUS, correct??

If that's the case, do the WPA setting I am going to show you on the router --

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Once that's set up....I would like you to Turn the TV off, and the router off so the new settings take effect.

Then try to access Yahoo on the TV, next check the STATUS.

As far as I know,,,,if your TV says it's connected to your router, then the Status say's it's not connected, we have to figure out why the software in the TV isn't doing it's job.

When that happens, we restart both units to reload any new settings.

TV's are more computer nowadays, so treat it like a computer. If you change settings, you Reboot the TV.

Keep that in mind.

And no.... you don't have to boot it 50 times....once should be sufficient.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope....never mind...thanks the effort
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 3 years ago.
Still having problems? Are you finding my answers the SAME as Samsung's and Time Warner's?