bluextc89
bluextc89, Technician
Experience:  Small Business Owner.

I can only get a black and white picture on my LG TV model

Customer Question

I can only get a black and white picture on my LG TV model 47LV5500. It works fine with Netflixs and DVDs, but not the cable box. I know it must be the way I have it connected, but i have tried it a number of different ways with no luck.
Category: TV
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for stopping by:

What type of signal cable are you using to connect to the cable box?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Has it ever worked properly in the past... or is this a new installation?

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, we moved and didn't look at the cable configuration on the back before we disconnected it.
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 2 years ago.
What type of cable are you using?
Please click the picture in the first reply - and choose one.
Component cables have 5 ends... red, green, blue, red&white audio.
Composite cables have 3 ends...yellow, red, white .

All the other cables have very distinct ends.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is like the 2nd one in the picture, but it has 5 prongs. See pics

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 2 years ago.
Ok - that is component cables.

Please ensure the red and white ends are in the red and white audio jacks on the TV and cable box. Often times the reds will look the same... but the red audio cable will not carry a video signal.

The audio cables are typically wired with a smaller diameter wire, or have a different colored wire. (the ones with the black casing in the picture you provided are the audio cables.

BLUE - Should be in the Pb jack (blue)
RED - Should be in the Pr jack (red)
GREEN - Should be in the Pg or YELLOW component video

Red and White audio cables should be in the corresponding audio jacks.

Once you have verified proper connection - make sure your cable box is set to output component video. If you cannot find the setting in the menu - reply with the exact model number from the cable box, and I can try to find it for you in the documentation.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no good.
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 2 years ago.
What have you done? Everything?
Remember to include the model number from your cable box with your reply.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey, I finally got it figured out, but it wasn't what you suggested. I ended up with an odd plg in configuration in the back to make it work. I have no idea why it works this way and not the proper way that you described. I can't jus

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
tify paying 28 dolars for your answer, but I would like to give you 10 for your time if you have a Paypal or something.
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 2 years ago.
Hi - I didn't realize the picture you submitted was from YOUR set... I thought you were using it as a reference to what your cables looked like.

I now see that you have it connected incorrectly (just like I said).

You have the WRONG red cable in the Pr jack.
The two black (red and white) plugs should be in the AUDIO red and white at the bottom.

Click the picture below to see what two to switch.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

The way you have it now - you are using the composite jacks - which do not allow for the best picture.

You can keep it the way it is now - but you should know the resolution is nowhere NEAR 1080p (more like 420) and you're using a video cable for an audio signal.

If you look at my first answer...
It states to verify the audio cables (also describes the cable ends being a different color for the audio cables)... and you stated you double-checked and it still didnt work.

Well - according to your picture (and subsequent follow up) I can see the bottom two jacks are red and white... and in the first pic you have the red video cable in the red audio cable jack.... and an audio cable in the video jack. A video cable will transmit audio, but an audio cable will not transmit video signal.

From the top - you should have...
GREEN banded white plug
BLUE banded white plug
RED banded white plug
White banded black plug
Red Banded black plug.

This will give you the best HD resolution from your cable box. Right now, you are only able to get SD (standard definition) with your current wiring in your last post.

As always - if you have additional - Just Ask.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand what you're saying, and I tried it the way you suggested and it is still black and white, which is why I fiddled around with it till something worked.
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 2 years ago.
I also requested the model number from your cable box to ensure you had turned ON the component signal.

You're using component HD cables on a composite circuit.
If you have an HD box, you are wasting money by downgrading your circuit.
If this was the way it was wired previously, you are simply using an unnecessary cable.

Reply with your model number of the cable box, and I can verify if you have an HD box, the component sigan is OFF, or if your TV was wired with the improper cable.

If you don't have an HD box, your $30+ component cables are unnecessary. A $5 set of composite cables would have worked fine.

Let me know.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a General Instruments Dolby Digital GI4012NA0216. I have no idea where the cable came from or anything. I am just trying to get the thing to work because my husband is working a lot and doesn't have time to deal with it. I'd like for him to have a color picture to look at when he gets back.
Expert:  bluextc89 replied 2 years ago.
I don't find information using that model number.

Perhaps, then this cable was not even used before in your previous installation... or it was used because that's what was "available".

If there are not Pb, Pr, Pg, and red/white audio jacks on your cable box, that's the reason for the poor signal you got when hooking up the component cables instead of composite. In a composite cable - all colors are transmitted with the yellow cable. In the HD component cable, the Red, Green, and Blue are separated into the three cables.

As a suggestion - on the Yellow TV jack - use the Green striped cable.

On the red/white audio jacks under the video - use the black ends with corresponding stripes.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Thanks!