Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I purchased a Samsung 32" TV from costco. I have Dish network

I purchased a Samsung 32" TV from costco. I have Dish network at home but when I connect the cable to my Samsung TV , I do not get the cable in this TV. When I reconnect again my 10 yr old TV I get the picture in the TV. What am I doing wrong?
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question today. Please remember to click ACCEPT after you are satisfied so I get credit for my time.

p0llinate :

This is most likely an issue caused by the tv being tuned to the wrong channel.
I

p0llinate :

Is this the primary tv connected to your disn box?

p0llinate :

If not, and you're using the secondary tuner, you need to be tuned to some channel between 64 and 78 usually. Look in the tv menu to be sure that you are on cable mode, not antenna, and repeat the autoprogram process.

p0llinate :

However, if you have the opportunity to do so, you can avoid this problem completely by using a different connection method. If possible, use an hdmi output from the dish box to the new tv, if your dish receiver supports hdmi.

If not, look for component video outputs (red/green/blue), or if not that then look for Svideo or composite (yellow) video outputs you can use.

p0llinate :

These other connections will give vastly better picture quality than the coax cable connect.

p0llinate :

If you do not have these options available, I would recommend contacting dish network and upgrading your service. Since you bought this nice new tv, why not use all of it's capability to view high definition content (which you can't get over coax). Dish will send you a new HD receiver if you don't have one already, and you can then use just a single HDMI cable to connect it to the tv. It is a very simple setup and will greatly improve your picture and sound quality.

Customer:

Hello, Thanks for your response. Sorry I was not clear in my question. This is my secondary TV in the master bedroom. The Dish Receiver is HD and is connected to my main TV in the living room. That receiver provides cable service to the living room and the master bedroom. I had an old TV in the master bedroom and dish service works fine when I reconnect that TV. However when I disconnect the old TV and connect the cable to my new Samsung TV, also ensureed that I am on Cable mode in the TV menu and do autoprogram I do not see dish network and also the auto program does not detect this cable. Now removed this new TV, added the old TV back , did the autoprogram in the old TV and I am seeing the dish cable service in my old TV again. But new TV the cable does not work

p0llinate :

What channel do you tune the old tv to, to get the dish signal?

Customer:

The channel was number 3 in the old TV

p0llinate :

What happens if you tune directly to channel 3 (type in 3 on the tv remote) on the new tv? Have you tried it in both antenna and cable mode? You shouldn't have to auto scan if you know the channel number and can add/enter it manually.

Customer:

I tried that but the there is no picture. I have tried both antenna and cable.

p0llinate :

Do you have any other modes to choose from? HRC or digital or something else like that?

Customer:

I tried IRC instead of STD mode both for air and cable but I still have the same issue

p0llinate :

Do you see an option somewhere for an "analog" mode?

p0llinate :

I'm thinking the problem here is that the dish box is putting out an analog signal, which of course works on the old tv, but the new tv only has a digital tuner, so it's not recognizing the signal.

p0llinate :

*most* new tv's have both analog and digital tuners built in, I guess this particular model you purchased has digital only.

Customer:

I am getting my dish network cable also on my 65" samsung TV in my living room. Also my new TV is 720P and the one in the living room is 1080p

p0llinate :

How is it connected in the living room? Hdmi?

Customer:

I am planning to try one thing, take the new TV downstairs and directly connect it to the dish DVR and see if I receive the cable on it as I am receviing it on the other samsung 65" TV

Customer:

yes, HDMI

p0llinate :

Yes, that's why it works, HDMI is digital.

p0llinate :

And that would work on the new tv as well.

p0llinate :

The reason you're having a problem is you're using the analog RF modulated output from the dish receiver over a coax cable. The new tv only has a digital tuner so it can't use that analog signal.

Customer:

let me try this and see if it works, i will update the response after i check this

p0llinate :

My suggestion is to contact dish network and get a 2nd tuner for your bedroom tv (it'll be about $5 a month extra). You should be able to connect that new receiver to the new tv via hdmi. The extra benefit of this is that you'll actually get HD on the new tv now, which you wouldn't have when using the coax cable off the main receiver.

Nathan, Installer
Experience: Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.