Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

My toshiba 26av502r TV - has horizontal lines top to bottom

My toshiba 26av502r TV - has horizontal lines top to bottom about 1/16th inch apart

It is connected to a computer
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

I will need to see a picture of this, so I can see for myself. You can upload the picture by clicking on the paper clip icon, which is on the toolbar (just above the text box where you're typing). The picture has to be less than 5MB. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no paper clip
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
You can also upload the picture to a sharing site, like or just be sure to give me a link to it. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
- Does the same issue occur if you use a different video source like the DVD player, VCR, game console, etc.?
- Press MENU on the TV's own remote (not the cable remote). Does the menu have the same issue, as well?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it does the left side of the screen is worse.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Yes to both questions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Do you want to repair this yourself? Do you have experience? Tools?

Or are you just trying to figure out it's reparable?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have tools - no exp. would like to know what it will take and cost.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

Please read this whole post, and keep replying to me until you're satisfied. Once you're satisfied, you can click "Accept" (that part is important... it's how I get paid). You'll also be afforded the opportunity to leave me positive feedback and a tip. While not required, both would certainly be appreciated!

This is definitely reparable. It will just boil down to cost, so the real question is: Will this be cost effective? The answer is... probably. It's tough to say for sure without getting inside the TV, but the good news is that some hands on diagnostics wouldn't run you more than $50-$75 (in my area) and most of that would be put toward the repair labor should you decide to have it repaired.

Things like this can be caused by a couple different things. Namely... the power supply, the main board, or the LCD panel (the screen). The power supply and the main board would normally be cost effective to repair, and these are the most common issues. The panel would be far too expensive to consider replacing but that would also be much more rare, so the odds are on your side. Again, though, we won't know for sure until the technician gets inside to have a closer look.

If you'd like, feel free to post back here with the technician's findings and the repair estimate. I'd be happy to let you know what I think. You can find a good technician at Just go there and enter your zip code, they have a pretty thorough listing.

Dan T.