Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main

the volume goes up and down by itself, whether with the remote

Customer Question

the volume goes up and down by itself, whether with the remote or the volume control on the side of the tv. It is a 40RV525U toshiba bought at end of 2008
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Welcome
Thanks for using JustAnswer

OK you need to firstly eliminate the remote control itself causing this by taking the batteries out and seeing if the fault either continues or clears

Do this first then let me know.
I do know the issue after this but just need you to clear that first

Let me know please

Anthony
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience: 20+ years experience TV expert in the main
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I AM STILL HAVING SAME PROBLEM WITH VOLUME GOING UP AND DOWN, AND SINCE THE REMOTE HAS NO BATTERIES, IF I PUT THEM BACK IN I STILL CAN'T GET PICTURE FROM 720 TO1080
Hi

Taking the batteries out of the remote won't cause any problems at all (sets own remote control), its simply to eliminate the remote control from causing the sound issue as sometimes liquid spillage into the remote or a short circuit in the remote can make the remote behave like as though buttons are being pressed on it, so taking the batteries out just eliminates the remote from the diagnosis, why you can't change the resolution from 720 to 1080 is a mystery but wont be caused by taking the batteries out of the remote, please reboot the TV if you havent already done so, and reboot the sat/cable box by unplugging from wallpower for 5 mins then replugging back in.

Let me know if the 1080 comes back first

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the tv is working fine by eliminating the remote as you previously said. We did unplug the cable box(AT&T uverse) and the tv for 5 minutes, but I still can't get the resolution from 720 to 1080, but thank you for the suggestion. I don't know what else to do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anthony, I'm still having the same problem with the volume, not happy
Hi

Somehow this never came back to me in my questions I do apologise for this

OK please let me know the current situation I do know the problem but I have to follow a course of elimination first so let me know the current situation please

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have kept the remote out of the room, but the volume still goes down on its own. Maybe only once or twice in a couple of hours of watching tv, and after battling with the AT&T remote volume control, it will finally stay.
Hi

The fact that it works sometimes is just coincidence the problem you have is with the tact switches these are the volume/channel change on the set itself not the remote, their are switches underneath them buttons that oxidise (particularly in warm/humid climate)and they behave when faulty like they are being pressed now the options you have are this.....

Replace the tact switches (not the best option soldering to do)
Replace the keyboard with the switches on (subject to availibility is relatively easy to do for someone with moderate practical ability)
Disconnect the keyboard (keyboard wont work its seldom used anyhow but will solve the problem until you decide what to do)

These options do mean the back of the set will need to come off and the keyboard found underneath the volume/channel change on the set

Do you think you can do this?

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your quick response. I have a son who I think can do this, but he won't be around until christmas day, so I will wait til he comes over. I will let you know what happens. Thank you again. Carolyn McCarthy
Hi

Just come back here if you need me bookmark this page

Let me know this thread is open as long as you need it to be

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anthony Pr, we now have the back off the tv, and found the keyboard, but there are numerous colored wires at the top of it, I don't want to pull and take off anything unless it is okay. Will the tv still work if those colored wires (connected to keyboard?) are disconnected or does the keyboard come out without messing with those wires? Help
Hi

OK thanks for getting back to me the only time when you cant pull out this plug is if the remote receiver is on the same board it looks like a little bulb however if this is not the case you can safely pull the plug out that feeds the keyboard all should be well after doing this

Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After taking the back off, we decided to wait until Christmas Day when my tech savy son can look at it. I will keep you posted. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry I didn't get back to you right away. As I said before it has been working fine for 3-4 weeks, and decided not to do anything as long as it was working. Just this morning, the volume went down. We had unplugged everything, since that worked a couple of times, so I did that this morning.Unfortunately it didn't work. So now I will have to have my son take the back off as you suggested the first time. I will let you know when he is able to come and do this, it may be a few weeks. Thanks for staying in touch. I appreciate it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just wanted to let you know my son disconnected the "side volume buttons" that is connected to the main board as you suggested. The tv is working fine now using the remote. Thank you again for your help. Toshiba wasn't able to help me at all.
Hi

Glad this worked out OK

Anthony