Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Toshiba 27HL85 Theaterwide HD flat-panel. The screen

I have a Toshiba 27HL85 Theaterwide HD flat-panel. The screen just went black, although I have audio. Changing channels or functions does not make a difference, and I checked all the cable connections. Is this a lamp issue?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

There is not a Lamp in this TV, it is an LCD.

How long have you had the set for and when did this problem occur?

If you press the MENU button on the TV remote, does the MENU come up?

Also, in a darkened room, shine a flashlight on the screen and look very closely at the screen. Do you see a dimly lit picture behind the screen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the TV is about five years old, and the problem just occurred within the past hour. When I try using the remote, nothing happens. I did try shining the light, and I did not see a picture behind the screen.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I do not have good news for you. There is no sequence of buttons you can press the reset the TV, and it will require circuit testing and component replacement to operate properly again.

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the T-Con boards, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. If the supply outputs power with
all of the boards connected, then the T-Con needs to be tested. The T-Con will
run you around $150 to have replaced. If the T-Con tests good, then the LCD
Panel has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $300) to have
replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set.

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and