Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.
24739752

My Olevia TV wont turn on. The front panel light is lit but

My Olevia TV won't turn on. The front panel light is lit but when I press the power button I hear a sort of pop and nothing happens with the screen. I've done resets, unplugged for 30 minutes, then held the power button down, then plugged back in and held the power button down again and still all is get is this kind of pop, like it's trying to cut on. It is about two years old and stays on more or less all the time.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

Can you please get me the model number off the back of the set?

Also, how long have you had it for and when did this problem occur?

Are there any blinking lights on the front of the TV?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't see the model number, due to the way the tv is mounted. My guess it is a 27" model.

I've had the set for two years, to the month. This problem began occurring about a month ago. At first, I could hit the master power switch on the side, toggle it with the power button on the front of the set and, at some point, it would cut on.

There are no blinking lights on the set. There is a red light indicating power is to the set in the lower right corner.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for he reply. Are there any clicking sounds coming from the set at all?

Also have you tried unplugging the TV from power for several minutes to attempt to reset it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I've done the unplugging thing numerous times. I also read somewhere to unplug it, let it sit for 30 minutes, then hold the power button for 10 seconds prior to plugging it back in, then plug it in and hit the power button again, holding it down until the tv turns back on. This worked a couple of times, but no more.

When I push the power button, the set makes a pop or a click--more of a popping type sound. If I hold the power button in it makes the sound about every three or four seconds.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 years ago.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $150 parts and labor if this is the case.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.