Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I have a sony KDL32L5000 thta has no power/picture. I can hear

Customer Question

I have a sony KDL32L5000 thta has no power/picture. I can hear the relay click on but there is no sound, picture or lights lit on the front of the tv. I've replaced all 3 of the main boards and still get the same results.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'm Steve. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Disconnect the LVDS cable that runs form the Main Board to the TCON module which is top center behind an aluminum shield.

Plug the TV into the wall. Does the screen light up?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unpluged the board and turned the tv on and still nothing.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Dim the lights in the room.

Observe the screen when you plug it in. Do you see it briefly light up (backlights not picture) and then go dark again?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried it again and do not see any change in the screen at all
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
This is with everything plugged back in right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes with everything plugged in and also without the TCON Module plugged in.

All I hear is the relay when I plug th tv into the outlet and another click when I remove the plug.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

That has to be the power supply board.

From where did you get the replacement? Was it new?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought it from Tri State Module in Indiana. According to them it is a new tested board, that's why I've been messing with all the other boards. My first thought was the power supply board also.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, disconnect the connector at the Inverter board or disconnect the other ends of it - one on the main and one on the PS.

Does the TV start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Disconneted the inverter board and still no change. What can I do to check the power supply board to see if it's working correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

I just received and replaced the power supply board and still no change. Also replaced the TCON module and again still no change. the only boards left to change are the front led board and the power switch board. Any other ideas?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

I'm wondering if it is something as simple as the power switch board. Is it plugged in?

This would not prevent the TV starting with the remote though.

If you have replaced all the boards and the power board twice, I would now start looking for 'silly' things like frayed or shorted wiring, bad connectors in the wiring etc.

There's no way that this TV shouldn't be at a minimum, blinking a code on the front LED.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

I've tried unplugging the power board and using the remotes and still no luck. I'm wondering if there is a possibly software reset that it might need?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

I reset all the cables and checked to make sure all the wires were seated in the connectors and still nothing. Any other thoughts on what could be causing this?

Larry

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

If the relay clicks and then nothing, it is the G2BE board - the power supply board. No doubt in my mind.

The one that you bought, is it the exact part number of the original board - there were a lot of variations of this part.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

Checked the power supply boards and the part numbers are,

My old board XXXXXXXXX /p>

1st board from Tri State XXXXXXXXX /p>

2nd board from Tri State XXXXXXXXX

I changed the power supply to the 1st one I received from Tri State and actually had a green light for about 2 seconds then heard a click and the light went blank. When I tried to turn on the tv there was no click and no power. I let it sit for an hour and when I tried it again I got the green light for a second then it went black again. Now It clicks when I apply power but nothing else happens.

The clicking comes when I plug the tv in and also when I unplug it, not when I try to turn it on.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Can you send those three part numbers to gina@justanswer.com The site thinks they're phone numbers and will not display them correctly.

Ask her to forward the info to Steve555 (me).

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Sent to her
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll let you know when I receive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have you heard from Gina yet?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

I did and all should work.

I am going to send you the training manual for this set. Please refer to Chapter 3 - Power Supply. There is definitely something going on in this area. The fact that three boards are not working in your set is completely baffling to me.

Maybe with the manual, you may be able to figure out what is going on. I'm not sure I can do it from this end. My hunch is some frayed wiring or faulty wiring connector - on the wires not the board.

Anyway, here is the manual.

http://www.mediafire.com/?miop3oamof1al7h

I will be here if you have any ideas or questions once you have read through it..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

Thanks for the manual but it looks like everything I have tried so far. I did re connect my old "A" board and got a couple of clicks from the relay when I plugged it in then nothing. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in and no clicks at all. I replaced the A board with the one from Tri State and now the relay clicks when I apply power and also when I turn it off. Not sure if this is anything but at this point I'll try anything.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

Let me look at this. I'll return shortly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

I just replaced the power supply with my old board and left in the new "A" board and am getting the same result. Relay is clicking on and off on the power supply board

Expert:  Steve G. replied 2 years ago.

I'm going to pull in another expert and see if another set of 'eyes' can help you here.

Hold on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

Any response from the other expert yet?