Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Sanyo Plasma tv DP42740 shut off and wont turn back on

My Sanyo Plasma tv DP42740 shut off and won't turn back on
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.
How long have you had the set for and when did the problem occur?

Was it after a storm or power outage in your area?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had this set since December 2011

this problem occured this afternoon.

it was raining but i'm not sure if there was electrical activity

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

So, beyond the power light initially being on then shutting off, it does not blink or come back on at all correct?

Additionally, when you press the power button on the front of the TV, do you hear a click at all?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes beyond the power light there is no blinking and nothing comes back on. And I do here a click when I press the power button on the tv

Expert:  Aric replied 4 years ago.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $150 parts and labor if this is the case. The power board itself will run you roughly between $300-$400 to have replaced.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!