Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

Hi, I have a Samsung Model Code LN40A330J1DXZA. One day it

Hi, I have a Samsung Model Code: LN40A330J1DXZA. One day it just wouldn't turn on. it has a good connection to power. Last night i decided to give it another shot. I plugged it in and tried to turn it on...still nothing so it seemed...but I left and came back home...with the lights off i could see a faint light flashing and trying to come on on the screen. I am wondering if this is just a capacitor. Any thoughts or should i just give up and take it to a repair place?
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-When you say flashing, is that on the screen or the power light?
-How old is the unit?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The flashing is on the screen, most of the light is concentrated near the bottom right hand side of the screen. My ex boyfriend gave me the tv...i think it is about 5 years old
There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $250-300

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have some experience repairing gas analyzers at work...when i do these repairs i have the manuals sitting in front of me and i believe that the whole set up is a bit different than what i am dealing with here....I dont have a multi-meter on hand at the moment...I can go grab one from work...I would love to take a stab at it. Just to find out if I can bring this thing back to life for a reasonable price....Is there specific equipment that i would need other than this?

If you think that this is out of my league let me know.

What you need to do is remove the back cover and inspect the power supply for any capacitors that have bubbled tops. Let me know what you find....If you are unsure what you are looking for you can post a picture to me and I will inspect for you. (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the paper clip on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the tops of all these capacitors look fine.
Thats not good, most likely you have a bad LCD panel then.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay. any other ideas for anything i can check before i junk it?
You can check the DC voltages coming out of the power supply to make sure they are steady, but if they are then it is certainly a bad LCD panel.