Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Mitsubishi 50" plasma...the blue on light is blinking

I have a Mitsubishi 50" plasma...the blue on light is blinking 3 times and unit shuts off... Has anyone experienced this. what does the 3 blink mean?...how much to fix?

This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. The capacitors on this board can swell and bulge due to receiving a surge, and can cause a voltage drop on one of the outputs on the PS. This typically will cost you $150 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Y Sustain, and Z Sustain boards failing. They are responsible for lighting the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The voltages need to be measured by an experience professional between the power supply and these boards, and also from the boards to the Plasma Panel. Average cost for this type of repair is around $450 parts and labor.

If these boards test good, then the problem is the Plasma Panel itself which will mean you need to get a new TV. The cost to replace the Plasma panel will exceed the cost of the TV itself, as the panels are very expensive and very labor intensive to replace.

I wish I had better news, but the set will require component level testing and replacement in order to function properly again.

You can locate a tech using the link below:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more piece of information....when I did turn it on, I did hear sound, but no screen...sound like a plasma/board problem?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it still would be isolated to either of the things above even if the set had sound. This just indicates that the Mainboard IS working, and that the Audio Output IC is still functional. One of the PS output rails, the Sus boards or the Panel are what's causing the no picture on the set.

Unfortunately, this chassis did not use blink codes to diagnose possible problems and help narrow down the culprit. Even though you're getting what appears to be a 3 blink code, it is still just a general SOS stating a short circuit.

I wish i had better news on the set.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just sent more information...don't see a response

My response is above. I will send it again:

I wish i had better news on the set.