Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

i have a vizio 46 inch tv that has black lines across the top

i have a vizio 46 inch tv that has black lines across the top fourth of it on ocasion and sometimes goes dark there too. is there anything i can do to fix this problem??
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the model is vw46l fhdtv 10a. it is about 3yrs old and it happens during all types of use. but funny thing is when i just moved it to gat the model it went away? but it dont happen all the time.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
So just moving the tv made the picture perfect?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it went away for the moment?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I am very afraid I have no good news for you.

What you have is a LCD panel that has failed, this is a very common problem with these new LCD televisions and there is no way to fix it. The part price is always more than a new television. For example the part needed to fix your set is over $1600, you can buy a new set for half that price. Unfortunately there are a lot of good folks in your position, they have bought these nice sets, and after 18 months to 4 years the tv is going into the garbage unless they bought an extended warranty on it.

The only bit of advice I can give you if you don't have a warranty is to call vizio and complain to them, a lot of manufactures are working with their customers because these sets are failing so prematurely. A lot of times the manufacture will repair the set, or supply the part at no cost, leaving you with the labor for installation.

I am sorry I have no good news for you, please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to press the ACCEPT button when we are finished, it is the only way I can get credit for helping you. I want you to be 100% satisfied so please, by all means ask any questions you might have on this subject. Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.