Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Panasonic viera 50 inch 720p plasma will not turn on red light

Panasonic viera 50 inch 720p plasma will not turn on red light blinking no picture tv is only 18 months to 2 years old
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Can you please get me the model number locate don the back of the TV?

Also, did this problem occur after a storm or power outage?

Additionally, is the light blinking continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause 5 blinks, repeat)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Model # XXXXX

No storm maybe a power outage when I came home work the tv would not come on

The Light was blinking continuously, and in a pattern now it will not come on at all
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

The light does not come on at all now?

Please unplug the set from power for 2 minutes, plug back in while pressing and holding the power button on the front. If it does not come on, press the power button once more and then release it. Is the light blinking, and can you tell me exactly what the pattern is?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did what you suggested the light came on a few seconds a solid red no blinking and then it turned off completely
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Okay thank you.

Typically the light will blink a code, which gives an indication which circuit, or voltage output is shorted, and gives the tech a good place to start testing.

If it goes out completely, then this indicates a failure of the circuit itself, or of the power supply output rail that feeds the diagnostics, or the mainboard.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV.

Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $150 parts and labor if this is the case. The power board itself will run you roughly between $300-$400 to have replaced.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I plugged in tv another outlet now the red light is blinking a pattern of 10 or 11 blink I will focus to get the accurate count
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
Okay let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a pattern of 11 blinking lights and I do not having skills replacing anything on a tv and I hope I do not have to replace anything. I have researched and found this is a common problem with panasonic tvs's the problem usually occurs with 18mos to 2 years after your purchase the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I cannot locate anything specific under 11 blink code. 10 blinks indicates a failure in the 15 volt output rail of the power supply, which usually indicates the power supply has failed. to further diagnose this problem you're having tests must be made on the power supply to determine which board has the failure.

The first thing you'd want to check is the caps on the power board for bulges or leaking. Any of these needs to be replaced.

Please only proceed if you have experience measuring live voltages on a circuit board level.

Next, use a DMM set to DC volts, find a common ground on the power supply and probe all of the Outputs for voltage (correct voltages will be stamped on the power supply at the outputs). Do this with NOTHING connected to the Power supply but AC power. If a voltage is missing/ fluctuating, then the power board needs to be replaced.

If the power supply outputs its rated voltages, then connect the other boards one at a time until one causes it to shut down. This board would have the short causing the supply to SOS, and would need to be replaced.

A good source to locate replacement boards is http://www.shopjimmy.com/ and http://www.discountmerchant.com/

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not see 'accept' I do see bonuses I do not have enough for a bonus so what should I do pls advise
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the reply. You already accepted once so that is sufficient and appreciated.