Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a 6 year old Sony 36 HDTV CRT (model KD-36XS955).

I have a 6 year old Sony 36' HDTV CRT (model KD-36XS955). While watching yesterday, the screen image suddenly appeared "infrared" (even when playing a DVD). Any thoughts? Is this repairable? Thanks.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, please clarify / describe further "...screen image...appeared "infrared"..."
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a picture, but all I can see if Red and Blue colors...
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
I understand.

Offhand, this particular model uses a DA-4 chassis where there are three (3) color guns for the green, blue & red. The described symptom would indicate that either:
  • the driver for the red gun is faulty (constant red); or
  • the driver for the green gun is faulty (missing green).

Either way, it would be an internal hardware fault.

Unfortunately, no quick/easy fix and neither is there a workaround. The unit would have to be opened up for voltage measurements, confirm fault and effect repairs.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center or a qualified professional;
  • evaluate other options considering cost of repair, down time, cost of shipping, parts availability and comparable prices of newer/better models.

Are you then considering a DIY repair approach? Do you have access to a multimeter and a soldering iron?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I definitely would not pursue a DIY option. Can you give an estimate (or at least a range) or what that type of repair costs?
Expert:  Louie replied 5 years ago.
Even if all 3 color drives would have to be replaced, the parts cost would be inexpensive and therefore reasonable.

It may be the service fees that would be of a concern depending on the going rate in your location.