Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

I have a 42 inch magnavox plasma with sound but no picture,

I have a 42 inch magnavox plasma with sound but no picture, any ideas what to repair??
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number?
2. How long have you owned it?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
model number 42mf231d...I have had it for about 5 yrs.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, please make the room as dark as possible and be sure the TV is turned off. Get a good look at how black the screen is, then turn it on. Do you notice a slight change in the darkness of the screen? Did it change from pitch black to dark gray?

Also, can you bring up the TV's on screen menu?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried that previously - stays black. can't bring up tv on screen menu..
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Leave the TV on. Then hold a flashlight very close to the screen and look for faint images, shadows, or movement of what should be displayed on the screen. You can try to bring up the TV menu, too... so you'll know what to look for. Can you see anything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will try and email you back....this will take me a few minutes to setup - how do I email you back ??

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Just leave this page open. Or you can click the link in the email we sent you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok setup tv - hooked up HD cable from satelite box...screen is still black. Took flashlight to screen ...but can not see anything. Menu will not come up on screen. The only thing on is the little blue light on the on/off switch at bottom of tv.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Do you want to repair this yourself? Do you have experience? Tools?

Or are you just trying to figure out it's reparable?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if its basic - i would like to repair....or if it is repairable for less than a couple $100 - i would take to shop.....is it repairable??
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Please read this whole post, and keep replying to me until you're satisfied. Once you're satisfied, you can click "Accept" (that part is important... it's how I get paid). You'll also be afforded the opportunity to leave me positive feedback and a tip. While not required, both would certainly be appreciated!

This is definitely reparable. It will just boil down to cost, so the real question is: Will this be cost effective? The answer is... probably. It's tough to say for sure without getting inside the TV (let me know if you want to), but the good news is that some hands on diagnostics wouldn't run you more than $50-$75 (in my area) and most of that would be put toward the repair labor should you decide to have it repaired.

Things like this can be caused by a couple different things. Namely... the power supply, the main board, or the LCD panel (the screen). The power supply and the main board would normally be cost effective to repair, and these are the most common issues. The panel would be far too expensive to consider replacing but that would also be much more rare, so the odds are on your side. Again, though, we won't know for sure until the technician gets inside to have a closer look.

If you'd like, feel free to post back here with the technician's findings and the repair estimate. I'd be happy to let you know what I think. You can find a good technician at www.tvrepairpros.com. Just go there and enter your zip code, they have a pretty thorough listing.

Respectfully,
Dan T.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is there something I can test to see if its the power supply...I took the back off the tv - but did not see anything out of the norm - i.e. swollen capacitors or anything...

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked the DC voltages leaving the power supply? If not, let's try that now.

Put your red lead on each pin leaving the power supply one at a time, with your black lead on any exposed chassis metal for ground. Stick that red lead down into the connector so the lead makes contact with the pin.

Be sure the TV is turned on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have not checked - do not have the tool...so I will contact a tv repair shop. How can I get a copy of this post...does it stay on this site for future reference??? or can you email your reply to me at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
On your page somewhere is a "share" button. Click that... you can email, print, etc. You can also click "Accept" now. Thanks!

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.