Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I cant get the screen size on my vizio tv model # XXXXX VW26L

Customer Question

I can't get the screen size on my vizio tv model # XXXXX VW26L HDTV10F Serial # XXXXX to come out of 16:9 wide mode.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

p0llinate :

Hello, I would like to assist you with your question today. Please remember to click ACCEPT after you are satisfied so I get credit for my time.

p0llinate :

Are you sure the problem lies with the tv? Often, if you are using the tv remote to change the aspect ratio or picture mode, and not getting the desired results, the problem is caused by the source devices.

p0llinate :

Assuming you are using a cable box or satellite receiver, check on it for the video mode being output to the tv. There should be a button on the remote labeled as picture mode/aspect/size/zoom/etc. Just press it a few times to cycle through the different options until you reach the desired format.

Customer :

this is acctually going to be my computer monitor and I have had the thing hooked up to a different tv in the past and had no trouble with this kind of thing

Customer :

and it is hooked up via HDMI cable

Customer :

p0llinate :

So you have the computer connected to the tv with hdmi, and are having a problem with it being stuck in letterbox format (black/grey bars on the top/bottom of the screen)?

Customer :

it says letterbox format on the screen when i try to change from the tv remote and when I try changing the resolution from the computer it doesnt really do anything, and the problem isnt the black/grey bars its the desktop runs off the edge of the screen on all 4 sides

Customer :

p0llinate :

What resolution setting are you using on the computer?
for a high def TV, you should be at 1920x1080

p0llinate :

Also check your windows settings to see if when you're changing the resolution if it's changing it for the primary monitor, or if it's considering the hdmi out port to be a secondary monitor. You may need to click on monitor 2 before changing the settings.

p0llinate :

If you continue having problems, try dropping the resolution down to 1280x720 or 1280x768

Customer :

its recommended setting (1360x768) seems to get closest but all four sides are part way off the screen, I can only see about half the start bar.

p0llinate :

Try the 1280x720 setting.

Customer :

about the same, the text is just bigger

Customer :

i've already ran through all the different listed resolutions and also checked the drivers for the monitor/tv

p0llinate :

Are you sure the tv isn't set in zoom mode? Have you tried restarting the tv after the resolution changes?

Customer :

doesnt seem to help anything

Customer :

if the tv were stuck in zoom mode how would i go about getting it out?

p0llinate :

You'll have to look for a aspect/picture/zoom button on the tv remote. Just press it several times and it should cycle through 4:3, 16:9, zoom, fill, stretch, etc

Customer :

see the only buttons on the remote that I can find that fit that description are a pair of zoom + and zoom - buttons and wide the zoom buttons say that the function is not available and the wide button just cycles through 16:9 only, I tried changing this from the tv menu and it acts like there is only the 16:9 aspect

p0llinate :

The problem may be that the configuration options are restricted in hdmi mode (or with fixed resolution from the hdmi out on computer)

Have you tried connecting to the tv directly with a vga cable? Or perhaps a dvi to hdmi adapter? (http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-ADP-3780-Female-Adapter/dp/B0018QTWH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318865853&sr=8-1) from tv to hdmi input of computer?If the problem is with the computer's hdmi out this could get around that.

p0llinate :

Sorry for the delay, for some reason I wasn't notified you had replied to my last post.