Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.

The stand by timer on our SOny tv keeps blinking and wont

The stand by timer on our SOny tv keeps blinking and won't let us turnon the tv. How do we fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I am Pete, a TV expert, and I'm happy to assist with your question today.

Electronics Pete :

How old is your Sony WEGA TV?

Electronics Pete :

Do you have the full model number available for it?

Electronics Pete :

Does the Standby/Timer light blink continuously, or is there a pattern of blinks, eg. 4 blinks, pause, 4 blinks, etc?

Electronics Pete :

Have you tried resetting the TV by turning it off and disconnecting it from the power supply for 1 hour, then try reconnecting it and powering it on again?

Customer:

Hi, Pete

Customer:

The Tv is about 7 years old. It has been blinking continuously. While waiting for you, I tried pressing down on the power button on the tv and the blinking stopped. however, when you try to turn the tv on, you get a momentary connection, it cuts out and the stand by timer starts blinking again. No,we have not tried resetting it by turning it off and disconnecting from the power supply.

Customer:

Should I try that now?

Electronics Pete :

Yes, you can try the reset now if possible.

Customer:

Will do.

Electronics Pete :

Sometimes a reset can rectify the problem, however on most occasions a continuous blinking Standby/Timer light indicates that an internal fault has been detected, and this will require a service repair by a TV technician.

Electronics Pete :

If you have some experience in TV or electronic repair, you may be able to attempt the repair yourself.

Electronics Pete :

Given the age of your TV and your symptoms, the most likely cause of this fault is likely to be a faulty power supply board.

Electronics Pete :

Some simple electronic voltage tests on the power supply board inside the TV can confirm this.

Electronics Pete :

A replacement power supply board can cost around $100-150 depending on your particular model.

Customer:

Ok. Do I have to wait the full hour before turning it on again?

Customer:

So the part, labor, and trip cost could be $300?

Electronics Pete :

The TV can reset itself in as little as 15 minutes, however it can take longer, so if you can wait a full hour you will be sure it is fully reset.

Electronics Pete :

You can expect to pay around $100-150 for labor so yes, the total repair cost will be around $250-300.

Electronics Pete :

Again, this will depend on which model you have, and the availability of a replacement power supply board.

Electronics Pete :

If you can provide me with the model number, I can check how much a replacement board should cost.

Customer:

Hmmm...replacing it may be a better option in that case. I'll try to find it but if it's on the back of the tv, I can't access it. It's old school and weighs a ton.

Electronics Pete :

In most cases, replacing the set is a better option, as once they start to fail in one area (power supply) you can often find that they will fail in another area soon after.

Electronics Pete :

The model number will be on the information panel on the rear of the TV set. If you have the user manual you will also find it there.

Customer:

We couldn't find the user manual either. It is a Trinitron if that's helpful.

Electronics Pete :

Unfortunately there are many different Sony WEGA Trinitron models, and there are different power supplies for each model, so I would need the exact model number to locate the exact replacement for your power supply board.

Customer:

I tried turning it on again with the same result. Watching closer, the light blinks 6 times, pauses, then repeats. When I try using the power button or the remote power button, you get a momentary connection then it cuts out. It's obvious something internal is preventing a full connection. Well, it looks like a visit from the repairman or a new tv. Thanks for your help, Pete.

Customer:

I just lost your information. What happened?

Customer:

Nevermind. Got it back.

Electronics Pete :

A 6 blink error code on these Sony Trinitron sets also indicates a fault on the power supply board, and is usually caused by the failure of the ICs which are part of the power supply drive circuit, so this still indicates that your power supply board needs replacing or repaired.

Customer:

ICs=internal controls?

Electronics Pete :

No, - Intergrated Circuits

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for your help.

Electronics Pete :

Also known as microchips.

Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience: 12+ years experience installing and repairing electronics.