Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Hi, My Samsung LCD Model LA40A650A1FXXY Version SQ01 was working

Hi, My Samsung LCD Model LA40A650A1FXXY Version SQ01 was working fine last night. When I got up this morning and went to turn it on the only thing that happened was the red standby light began to flash and would continue to do so until I unplugged the TV from the wall.

Please help
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

How long have you had the set for?

Did this problem occur after a power outage or storm in your area?

Additionally, is the light blinking continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause, 5 blinks, pause, etc.)?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have had the set for approximately 2 and a half years.

The weather last night was clear so no storm and no other electrical equipment has been reset so no power outage.

It blinked 5 times and on the 6th the red light stayed a little longer than normal. The continues in that same fashion
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

The flashing light would indicate that there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail. They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $150 parts and labor if this is the case. The power board itself will run you roughly between $350-$450 to have replaced.

The set definitely requires component testing and replacement in order to get it to function properly again. Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again. Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!