Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

My sony rear projection tv now has a yellow and blue shadow

My sony rear projection tv now has a yellow and blue shadow on the screen
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. Do all inputs have the same issue? DVD player, cable box, game console, etc.?
2. Press MENU on the TV's own remote (not the cable remote). Does the menu have the same issue, as well?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, all the inputs have the same issue and so does the MENU screen.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
What's the TV's model number? You can find this on the rear panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
KP-51WS510
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Please read this whole post. If you have more questions after that, just ask. Once you're satisfied, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid). If you feel I may have saved you a headache or professional labor charges, please also consider leaving a tip and positive feedback. Thanks!

First, look through the TV's menu for a convergence adjustment. It might be labeled "magic focus" or something similar. If that doesn't fix this or if you don't have that option in the menu, your TV's convergence circuitry has definitely failed. This is probably the most common issue with TVs of this type and age.

You see, your TV has 3 monochrome guns that project their colors (red, green, and blue) onto a mirror… which reflects the image onto the display. The convergence circuit pushes and pulls the colors into alignment so they “converge” at the same point. If the circuit fails, the colors separate like you've described and the picture sometimes warps or bows at the edges.

The circuit is made up of a couple integrated circuits called convergence amplifiers as well as some resistors and pico fuses, typically.

If you’re any good with a soldering iron, you can replace these parts yourself. That would run you $30-$60 typically. If you’d rather not dig into the TV yourself, you’ll need a technician here. Something like this is relatively simple and routine and should run you about $300 depending on where you live.

If you decide to try it yourself, I’d check with these guys first. They have repair "kits" available so you won't have to piece together the individual components. Plus, their kits come with picture-based directions and free phone support. For $30-$60 (depending on your model)… that's a good deal. I suggest calling them... a lot of their kits aren't posted on the site.

If you'd rather hire a technician to do this, check out www.tvrepairman.com and enter your zip code.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.