Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Hi, I have a Samsung 55 inch dlp tv. It comes on for a few

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Samsung 55 inch dlp tv. It comes on for a few minutes, then the screen goes black. I bought a new Phillips bulb, installed it, and same problem. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. What's the model number? Look on the rear panel, please.
2. Where did you get the lamp?
3. How much was the lamp?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Model HL-P5063W

Got the lamp (and housing) from a dealer online. It's a new BP96-00826A just like the last one. I paid 95 bucks for it, rather than buy a knock off for 50.. again, the problem is identicle to the previous issue (with the old bulb) If i unplug the set, then turn it on, it iss on for about 5-10 min., then picture only shuts off. maybe the power supply for the lamp??

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

$95 is way too cheap to be a genuine lamp. It should be about $150. Not saying that's your issue at this point, I just want you to know.

1. Does the picture come back? Off, on, off, on? Or does it just stay off?

2. When it goes black, look into the back of the TV and see if the lamp is still illuminated.

3. When it goes black, do any of the front panel LEDs come on? If so, which ones and are they flashing?