TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

Samsung PN50C450 has vertical lines on screen

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

Activate your TV menu and tell me if you can see it displaying on your TV screen.

If you can see it, tell me if those vertical lines show up Behind the menu, or on Top of the menu...or if the lines are over on the other side of the screen, nowhere near the menu, ok?

There is a tag on the right edge of your TV set too. It has a longer Model number and a Version number on it.

The tag looks like this one --

That helps us to identify your TV and what is bad on it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
problem is sporadic. Currently not doing it. Also on top of menu when it happens.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

On top of menu issues is usually the Panel or the Logic board.

Now, the question is this -- does it cover the entire 1/3 left, middle or right side, or do these lines show up as a band about 1-2 inches wide?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
right side
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 5 years ago.

Your model number is PN50C450B1DXZA, and it's either Version NY01 or NY02.

Entire right side covered? It's the Logic Board. It delivers half the picture to the Buffer board that drives the right half of the picture. If you had a band, it would be the Buffer.

Part number BN96-12953A

You can buy it here --

The first one has a picture of the Logic board and the LOWER LEFT connector connects to the buffer board that drives the right side of your TV screen. Since half your picture goes bad, the Logic board is more likely than the Buffer board. The buffer wouldn't lose ALL it's ICs at the same time.

Here is disassembly and Logic board --

There you go, everything you need to stop your TV from creating lines covering the entire right side of your TV set.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
they lines are in the middle and on black about a inch in width is on the right side.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

That sounds like a bad buffer.

Listen, do you have a digital camera, or cell phone? Let's get a picture of your entire display and that will help us determine what needs to be done.

Now, to add a picture, you simply type in some text, hit reply, then hit EDIT and you will see these buttons appear over your response box --

Some response boxes already have that, but if it isn't there, then do the instructions above.

Your picture file can be uploaded with the INSERT /EDIT PICTURE button.

When you double click the file, make sure it appears in the file name box before pressing the OK, or the INSERT buttons, otherwise you end up with this showing up --

So let the file transfer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks -- Got it.

Your problem is a BUFFER BOARD with a bad buffer on it.

Since it's on the SUNG side of SAM SUNG it's going to be the right or center buffer, depending on whether the TV uses 2 or 3 buffers.

E BUFFER -- Part number BN96-12954A

Available here --

Here is how you remove and replace the part. You will have SEVERAL RIBBON connectors on the board you have to remove, and they all have to align squarely into their sockets or you end up with a black band similar to the colored band you see on your TV screen now.

I'm warning you about this because they are in a tight place, and require some patience and good manual dexterity to install them.

Disassembly --

You'll have to flip up the locks on the Ribbon cables, lift them up and out because there are plastic tabs on the end of the ribbon cables that lay in front of tabs on the sockets. This assists you in getting them aligned correctly.

I usually take a super thin flatblade screwdriver and use that to unlock the locks, slide the screwdriver under the ribbon cables to lift them up and get them out.

To put them back in, I hold the sides of the ribbon cable and insert them at a 30 to 45 degree angle, then lay them down past the tabs, then lock them.

Make absolutely sure they don't LOOK cocked before locking them !

If you take your time, use bright lighting and observe your work, you should do ok.

I recommend upon completion of the ribbon cables, you reassemble it enough and connect ALL connectors.....then plug it in, and turn it on and look for any black bands before putting it all back together.

I recommend laying the TV face down on a blanketed table to service it, then just slide the bottom of the TV screen off the table so you can see a couple inches by the SAMSUNG nameplate. Just get down underneath the TV while it's on the table and check the lower 2-4 inches of picture for any bands.

IF you see will be DIRECTLY aligned with the ribbon cable on the Buffer board up top. Realign that specific one above it.

Yes, it's challenging....but certainly cheaper than replacing the entire panel.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.