Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

No sound; great picture. HDMI hookup. My tv service AT&T.

Customer Question

No sound; great picture. HDMI hookup. My tv service AT&T. RCA 46LA45RQ LCD TV. Tried everything the manual suggested
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the TV is brand new. out of the box today. I haven't tried the DVD yet. The TV is supposed to have its own built in speakers
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok in the audio settings of the ATT box, do you have a setting you can change to PCM audio?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, and that is what I have selected

when I press the audio button on the remote, nothing happens

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok was this ATT box hooked to another tv via HDMI before you got this tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the TV before was not connected by HDMI. iut just used the red, white, yellow cables and of course worked fine
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok can you try that real quick with this new tv just to make sure we do not have a broken right out of the box set here?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do I use the cables from the old tv? no cables came with this one
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Yes you can just use the old yellow, red and white cables that you had hooked to the old set, just hook them to the att box and then to the back of the new set. Of course then change the input and see if you get picture and sound.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this may take a few minutes
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Take your time. I will be here for about another hour.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i hooked it up, and I am not sure I got the connections right. I followed the color code there were three one red, blue green. and another cable wit red and white. I then selected "component" as my source Not a very good picture but still no sound
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Wow still no sound...you hooked all 5 up in a row on back of the box and back of the tv?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right, A basic problem - when I select HDMI and go to setup, it will not allow me to do a channel search. I can cahge channels only with the ATT remote. When I used the ATT remote and selected "recorded TV", no response.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
You don't do a channel search with HDMI. You are supposed to only change the channels with the ATT remote also.

We are going to need to hook something else up like a DVD player at this point. Its looking like you have a bad tv right out of the box but we need to check a second device to know for sure.

TIm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's hooked up and on. the screen on the DVD/Home theater shows "Au In"
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do you get a picture on the tv from the DVD?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a picture and a background motorboating sound - not actual sound from yhe TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok there are two options here, either A) the tv is broken right out of box or B) something is being hooked up wrong.

You are hooking them up in the right spots right?

Tim