Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

how can i repair water damage to my smasung led tv

how can i repair water damage to my smasung led tv?

Jack :

Hi and welcome to justanswer.
I`m going to help you with your tv but first i will have a few questions;

Jack :

Do you know if any water went into the back of the tv ?

Jack :

What does it do right now ?

Jack :

Flashing light at the front ?

Jack :

I will be in standby, just send me a reply ,and i will be notified and be with you ASAP.

Customer:

no water in back of tv just the front there is no flashing light in the front. I did plug it back in this morning to see if it would work but all i got was a black screen with sound so I unplugged it again after that and it's been unplugged ever since this morning.

Jack :

O.k then it may not have anything to do with water damage ,which would be a good thing as water can do a real mess in electronic circuits

Jack :

Sounds like your power supply may be at fault

Jack :

Can you give me a few minutes ?

Customer:

sure no problem

Jack :

Thanks ,was just looking to see if your tv had backlight inverters but it is a LCD/LED tv

Jack :

So at this point it would be the power supply circuit that would need to be looked at

Jack :

Do you wish to look into this yourself ?

Customer:

the problem started after i found liquid on the front of the tv on wednesday so i turned the tv off and cleaned it up but when i turned the tv back the screen was white with lines and now the screen is black

Jack :

Do you know for sure that the picture went out when the liquid hit the screen ?

Customer:

no it didn't there was still a picture on the screen when i turned it off

Jack :

Could be just a coincidence but the first thing to do would be to remove the back cover to see if there are signs of water inside.

Customer:

also when i turned it back on there was still a picture but it was faded then the screen went white with blue lines

Customer:

ok the tv is currently sitting on a stand am I able to do that with out taking it down off the stand?

Jack :

O.k then that is interesting info,
Right now is the screen just blank with some background light or is it dark like when the tv is off ?

Customer:

give me a second and i'll go check

Jack :

In many case you can take off the back cover without taking out the stand but i could not tell you for sure without the service manual.

Jack :

In any case if you have to take the stand off then you can lay it down flat on it face to remove the cover then you can re-install the stand temporarily to work on it standing up

Customer:

blank with one side black and the other side white with gray streaks

Jack :

Hmmm, this doesn`t look good for the LCD panel and it would mean that some water has penetrated inside.

Jack :

The only thing that can be affected by water from the front is the LCD panel

Jack :

The rest of the tv is safely at the back

Customer:

ok can it be fixed? and if so how can i fix it

Jack :

It also means that you probably won`t see any signs of water inside as the water has gone in between the layers of the screen

Jack :

I`m afraid your tv is gone, the only time you can get a full lcd panel replaced is under warranty and even then most company will scrap the tv and give you a new one.

Jack :

You could contact a local repair shop to have a second opinion but i`m afraid they will tell you the same thing

Customer:

ok thanks

Jack :

Sorry i had to be the bearer of bad news and you will receive an email after this chat is closed and there will be a link to get back to me anytime if you have any questions.

Customer:

thats ok thanks for all your help