Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

Xfinity cable TV sound dies intermittently

My Xfinity cable tv sound dies intermittently while watching regular tv programs. How can you fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your issue.

We need to eliminate either the TV or the box/wiring as the cause of the problem.

So, do you have another box anywhere in the house?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no I don't have another box and I'm an electronics moron.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Ha! Don't worry about that.

Can you tell me the make and model of the cable box please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure which of the boxes is the cable box, but I think it's the sleek black one that says
xfinity on the front and RNG 110 on the right front.
I have an Apple computer box and another black box that says Arris on the front with a lot of lights, but I think that is also computer-related.
If it helps, this Comcast Xfinity package (with phone service as well) was installed by a Comcast technician in January so it's all pretty new.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, that's a Cisco box. I have one of those.

How often does this audio drop out occur? And you say it goes out for 2-3 minutes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It goes out 3-4 times per half hour and yes, it's out for 2-3 minutes altho the picture remains clear as a bell.
The sound goes off whether it's a standard sitcom show or whether we're watching a live Phillies game.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

It could be the box. It doesn't sound like it is the TV.

Do you have a DVD player hooked up to the TV? Or something else like maybe an XBOX or Playstation?

If so, see if the sound cuts out while you are watching a DVD or playing a game.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have no game boxes. Yes, there's a DVD hooked up to the tv but we haven't watched a DVD in weeks. Are you saying that we need to replace the box--it's practically brand new?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

Play a DVD and tell me if the sound cuts out.

Comcast recycles their boxes. When someone has a bad one, it is replaced, cleaned up, 'fixed' and sent back into the field. There is a very good chance that you have an iffy box.

Try the DVD. If the audio is fine then the first thing to do would be to change out the box.

Just ask if you need more help on this issue. I will be here.

Thanks very much.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I"ll try the DVD but it will take me a while to hook it up since I forget how to do it with all the remotes to work and using it so infrequently.
However, in the meantime, two last questions:
1) Why is the box suddenly "iffy" after working fine for 9 months?
2) If the DVD turns out to also have intermittent sound blackouts, whom do I contact at Comcast to get the box replaced and does this require a "live" service visit to my home?
Many thanks.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 5 years ago.

1. Electronics go bad. And, as I said previously, your 'new' box probably isn't.

2. If the DVD has intermittent sound blackouts, it is not Comcast. That is your TV at fault.

If you have to get the box exchanged, you can have a tech come to your home, or you can exchange it yourself at your local Comcast office.

Thanks very much.