Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

The vertical hold on my TV (Mitzubishi vs4561) is messed up.

The vertical hold on my TV (Mitzubishi vs4561) is messed up. Can't seem to get to any menu to fix it. The TV has recently been moved.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Can you tell me exactly what the symptom is? what is wrong with the pciture?
-How old is the unit?
- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, etc.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe the unit is a 1995. The picture just keeps bouncing or looks like the old film reels (running upwards on the screen) and won't stay solid. I have not hooked up any other devices. However I do have Time Warner cable. My son tried to play his xbox 360 hooked up to the front panel jacks and the picture did not change. Hopefully this helps.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
If you press the MENU button on the tv itself, does the menu stay solid or run too?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it stays solid
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Ok then its not a vertical problem, the vertical circuit would cause both the menu and the video to have an issue.

Any way you can get me a picture of this problem?

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yep, give me a minute to go next door and get the camera....
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No problem, take your time.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphic
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Sorry that did not come through. Can you email it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and put FOR TIM in the subject line? She will forward it to me.

TIm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

on it's way with a couple of more....

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Ok I will let you know when I get it.

Tim
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
I am shocked the menu does not affect that.

Let me first give you the warning: If you decide to repair this set yourself you will need to be careful, this set feeds the tubes with tens of thousands of volts and if you are not careful and do not know exactly what you are doing you can be hurt. There are also many different caps in the set that hold a charge and can hurt you as well. In addition I have seen many good people destroy their sets because they did not know what they were doing and either broke a circuit board or damaged some traces causing their sets to never work again. If you decide to go forward please take your time and if you are ever not sure on something please stop and ask me! Its better to take a day or two more to fix your set rather than destroy it

The first thing that I would need you to do is take the speaker grill off the set below the screen, then take the access panel off that is behind that. This will allow you to see into the projection box from the front.
You will see three picture tubes in front of you and hanging off the bottom of them will be three small square circuit boards, behind these circuit boards in the bottom you will see three more circuit boards. The board on the right will be green. I want you to inspect the green board thoroughly for any liquid, you will need a bright flashlight and look carefully, ensure the set is unplugged at this time.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks,
Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the warning about doing this myself. "Call Sears" probably would have been sufficient after explaining what you think is the problem...... I personally don't feel qualified to try! I may ask around for TV/Electrical Saavy friends and see if they are comfortable with trying this. Can we reconnect about this later tonight or tomorrow? This certainly didn't fix my problem so I guess I'm not 100% satisfied but you have definately been helpful. If I had the nerve to tear into the tv maybe we could fix it but I would rather have a tv when I'm done! Thanks for your help so far!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Sure if you have any more questions or need anything else let me know, I will be happy to help. If you want to get a tech out to look at it let me know, I can give you some ideas of what might be causing this and the costs of those repairs so you do not get ripped off by any repairmen.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, there are still some possibilities to explore. I would prefer to wait until it's resolved and have to have someone come look at the tv first so I may still need your help. If I accept your answer do I have to pay again to continue?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
No if you decide to accept now then you can come back at anytime to talk to me on this thread for free. Its up to you though, I am happy to help you with anything further that you like.

Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cool, I will keep these emails incase I find someone comfy with tearing into the tv!
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.
Ok sounds good, let me know! Also if you login to justanswer.com, click on the MY QUESTIONS link in the top right, then click on this question and post a reply I will be notified and respond ASAP.

Tim
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.