Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
42300671

my sony trinitron wont turn on. The red light is flashing,

my sony trinitron won't turn on. The red light is flashing, I unplugged it to reset it but nothing happens. It is 10 years old . Any suggestions?
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

Just a couple questions so I can get a better idea about what's going on here.

1. The light should be flashing in groups. Can you count how many times it flashes before pausing and flashing all over again?
2. What's the rest of the model number? KV- what?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it's in groups of four. the tv is too large for me to see the exact model no.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
I need the model number. You can find it on the rear panel, the owner's guide, the receipt, or the box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
kv-27fs12
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you still there ?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok, thanks. Do you want to repair this yourself? Do you have experience? Tools?

Or are you just trying to figure out it's reparable?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'd like to know how to proceed. What do you think the problem is?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'd like to know how to proceed. What do you think the problem is? Is this tv repairable?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Ok this is definitely an internal failure. I wish I had an easy answer like a reset button but I'm afraid that's not the case.

With your model, 4-flashes usually means the TV lost it's vertical sweep which can actually mean a couple things since the vertical circuit is driven by the horizontal circuit. Either way, you definitely have a reparable TV here.

Repair for this can be accomplished by any reputable Sony authorized tech. Should run $150-$250 typically. If you need help finding a good tech, check out tvrepairpros.com and enter your zip code.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
would it be more cost efficient to just buy another tv or repair this one?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Good question. It is almost never cost effective to repair a 27" TV. I would invest in a replacement.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is it cost effective to repair this tv or should i just buy a new one/
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.