Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

Ihave a Philips flat screen TV and there is no picture but

Ihave a Philips flat screen TV and there is no picture but there is sound. The TV is at least 4 years old. Is it worth Repairing?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

How long have you had the set for, and when did the problem occur?

Also, what is connected for devices (Cable box, DVD, etc.), and do you have the same problem with each?

Additionally, is this something you're looking to try and repair yourself, or are you looking for a diagnosis and estimate?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

At least 4 years and on the weekend.

I have disconnected everything.

Given the price of new TV's and the age of the TV I am thinking of buying a new one rather than get this one repaired unless it is simple.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please press the MENU button on the TV remote, and let me know if the MENU comes up?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing comes up.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I do not have good news for you. There is no sequence of buttons you can press the reset the TV, and it will require circuit testing and component replacement to operate properly again.

There are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the Backlight Inverter boards, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the backlight inverters need to be tested. The backlight inverters will run you around $450 to have replaced. If the LCD panel is receiving power from the inverter boards, then it has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $1100) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set.

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.