Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Philips Plasma TV Vertical lines

Customer Question

i have a flashing led2002 on my logic board, the screen will boot and displays image but with vertical black lines all across it. it also seems that the image is duplicated like a ghost effect in the wrong area, and also it appears black and white. just need some help to know what board is causing it. also it started doing this about a year ago, if we turned it off and on again. it would usually be fine, just a cold start seemed it had a problem with, but now this workaround wont work. its a Philips 50" plasma. model:50pfp5332d/37
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

-I am sorry for the delay, do you still need assistance with this?

Please let me know.

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would like some response other than:
"do I still need help?" Since I payed for something.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Do you know how to use a meter to test voltages? If so have you checked the VS and VA voltages?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry no I ha entire tested with a volt meter.
Translate the va/vs abbreviations please and where do I I connect my volt meter to it(when I am back to work on it)?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
VS and VA are not abbreviations. There are actual labels on the power supply next to the large connectors labeling some of the pins as VS and VA. What you need to do is put your red lead in the hole along with the wire next to the label VS or VA, then put your black lead on any of the metal on the back of the panel. Set your meter to DC voltage and turn the set on.

TIm
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Will try that and tell u the voltages I am getting from them once I am back in the office
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok sounds good.

Thanks!
Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can only find Vs and Vga points. Top left of power board. The Vs is an open hole I can put the tip through. The Vga is soldered up. The board I have is:
ps-506-ph LJ44-00144A 20061129 Rev.01
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok did you test the voltage on those pins?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
4.54 on Vs and 15.68 on Vg
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thats with the tv on? Also those are DC voltages?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is with the tv with power board having power and yes dc voltage I have a fluke 87 meter
I haven't got all parts connected I have the logic board disconnected and some cables but the power board has green light on. Want me to hook it all back up and test then?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Yes hook everything up the way it should be and test those voltages again please.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Vs: 206.9 v dc. Vg : 15.61 v dc.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Thats better. Any way you can get me a picture of the problem you see on the screen? (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above, where you are typing, of the paper clip. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont see a paperclip anywhere here to add an attachment. I am typing from my phones browser not email. I will try to some how send a link to a picture
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Can you email it toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX with "FOR TIM" in the subject line? She can forward it to me.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can do that too
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Ok let me know when you send them
tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I have sent it as directed
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I know you talked about your logic board, but have you replaced it?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No but I have already ordered a replacement. I was just trying to see if I was right with my hunch on the logic board. See its the only one that has a light flashing. Res all have 1the or 2that lights that are stable. But the logic has 2 lights stable and 1 flashing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When the logic board does arrived . I need to program it to a code that I find on a sticker somewhere, right? But I have a small problem with that... I read somewhere that I must use the original remote for it. But that remote broke. So is there another way of doing it?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
I would say I agree with your hunch at this point, interested to see what happens when you get the new one.

Also I don't think so, I think this logic board is plug and play.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok logic board arrived. Installed and working perfectly.
Will email pics
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Awesome the set is working now?

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfectly :) thanks for your help too. I wouldn't have bothered to check power board as I was getting it to start up finebut display was all messed up. And everything else worked fine. :)thanks see the emails for validation. And of you could display the before and after pics on the site somewhere. Im sure it would help you guys showing people you have helped :)thanks I will recommend you too.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Glad you got it working and we were able to help in one way or another. Let us know if you need anything in the future.

Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do. But one question. The led2002 is still flashing. Is this normal or does it mean it will fail again?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 2 years ago.
Pretty sure thats a normal indication.

Tim