Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

color rear projection Sony big screen TV.

We have a color rear projection Sony big screen TV. This morning when we turned it on, the picture was a mess. The picture is wide at both side and slopes in toward the middle. The primary colors are separated horizontally. Help! (It was working fine at midnight, last night.)

Please read this whole post. If you have more questions after that, just ask. Once you're satisfied, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid). If you feel I may have saved you a headache or professional labor charges, please also consider leaving a tip and positive feedback. Thanks!

First, look through the TV's menu for a convergence adjustment. It might be labeled "magic focus" or something similar. If that doesn't fix this or if you don't have that option in the menu, your TV's convergence circuitry has definitely failed. This is probably the most common issue with TVs of this type and age.

You see, your TV has 3 monochrome guns that project their colors (red, green, and blue) onto a mirror… which reflects the image onto the display. The convergence circuit pushes and pulls the colors into alignment so they “converge” at the same point. If the circuit fails, the colors separate like you've described and the picture sometimes warps or bows at the edges.

The circuit is made up of a couple integrated circuits called convergence amplifiers as well as some resistors and pico fuses, typically.

If you’re any good with a soldering iron, you can replace these parts yourself. That would run you $30-$60 typically. If you’d rather not dig into the TV yourself, you’ll need a technician here. Something like this is relatively simple and routine and should run you about $300 depending on where you live.

If you decide to try it yourself, I’d check with these guys first. They have repair "kits" available so you won't have to piece together the individual components. Plus, their kits come with picture-based directions and free phone support. For $30-$60 (depending on your model)… that's a good deal. I suggest calling them... a lot of their kits aren't posted on the site.

If you'd rather hire a technician to do this, check out and enter your zip code.

Hi again... got your feedback. What exactly were you looking for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's okay--you told me what I already knew. I need a repairman!
Ok. Let me know if you need anything else.