Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

We have a Sony Bravia model KDL-46XBR4 serial number(NNN) NNN-NNNN

We have a Sony Bravia model KDL-46XBR4 serial number(NNN) NNN-NNNNthat recently started experiencing picture quality problems for the first 15 minutes after it is turned on. It clears up after that. The right side of the screen has horizontal lines across and a larger image is shifted vertically from the normal image. Is this something that can be repaired without too much expense? We have had the TV for more than two years.
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is Dan.

1. Do all inputs have the same issue? DVD player, cable box, game console, etc.?
2. Press MENU on the TV's own remote (not the cable remote). Does the menu have the same issue, as well?

Respectfully,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. The TV responds the same regardless of the input source.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Turn the TV off and let it cool off for a while. Then grab a friend and turn the TV on. Then, apply a twisting motion to the screen (like you're wringing out a towel)... see if that will clear up the affected areas, even if it's just for a second while the pressure is applied. It's not a permanent fix, but it will help me narrow down the issue.

You can also try squeezing the TV’s bezel (plastic piece around the screen) near the affected area. Again, not as a fix… just a test.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We did as you suggested. Applied a pretty good twist and the problem cleared up. It didn't at first but after several tries and greater twisting force the picture cleared up to normal. At first it was only clear when twisting but then it stayed clear when the pressure was released. The set was cool and had been on less than three minutes when this worked.

The TV is mounted on a wall mounted pivot arm and one side is resting on a DVD player while the other side is free. Is it possible that over the year it's been this way this could have distorted the LCD display? It has been setting this way for about a year and the display distortion started about 3 or 4 months ago.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Please read this whole post. If you have more questions after that, just ask. Once you're satisfied, please click the green "Accept" button (that's how I get paid). If you feel I may have saved you a headache or professional labor charges, please also consider leaving a tip and positive feedback. Thanks!

>>Is it possible that over the year it's been this way this could have distorted the LCD display?<<

Yes, this is very possible. Probably our most likely root cause. What you have here is a faulty LCD panel (the screen itself). More specifically, I suspect some of the TABs on the panel itself are faulty. TAB stands for "tape automated bond[ing]" which is part of the LCD panel's manufacturing process (TABs are permanent connections between the electrode layers of the panel and the panel's inputs).

Sometimes a TAB will break, separate, or otherwise fail and cause a particular area of the screen to malfunction (there are horizontal and vertical TABs).

Usually, turning the TV on for a while will remedy the issue because the heat generated will cause the panel to expand which will force the TABs to make contact. This is what you simulated when you twisted or squeezed the screen.

Eventually, even the thermal expansion won’t help… the TABs will fail completely. You might be at this stage already.

The bad news here is that the only way to remedy this is to replace the panel itself (unless you have access to a $500,000 bonding machine), and a new panel would be far too expensive to be cost effective.

This is actually a pretty common malfunction… I suggest you Google "LCD TAB bonding.” You’ll see lots of articles.

I wish I had better news for you, but I hope this helps!

Respectfully,
Dan T.

Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.