Aric, Technician
Experience:  10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.

my vizio flat screen power light comes on but no picture, what

my vizio flat screen power light comes on but no picture, what could be the problem ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to assist you.

Does the TV have sound?

Do you have picture when watching other devices (DVD, VCR, Game System, etc.)?

Also, what color is the Vizio power light?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no sound,no picture for other devices, power light is yellow when off and white on .
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

You can attempt to reset the TV by unplugging it from AC power for 60 minutes or more to see if discharging the residual current in the power supply helps. I am not saying this WILL work, but it is the only other step aside from service.

If this does not work, then there are basically three problems that would cause this, the Power Supply, the Backlight Inverter boards, or the LCD panel itself has failed. Voltages need to be measured at the power supply outputs, using a DMM with nothing connected to it but AC Input. If the readings are proper, then the other boards need to be connected one at a time, until one causes the voltage to shut down at the output. If the supply outputs power with all of the boards connected, then the backlight inverters need to be tested. The backlight inverters will run you around $350 to have replaced. If the LCD panel is receiving power from the inverter boards, then it has failed and will cost you more than a new TV (around $800) to have replaced and it is not cost effective to repair this set.

If you do not have experience testing live voltages on a circuit board level, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a tech in your area:

www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance, let me know.

If this answers your question, please click "Accept", as it is the only way we Experts get paid for our knowledge on the site. Tips and Bonuses are welcome and appreciated!!

Aric, Technician
Experience: 10+ yrs. experience installing and repairing TVs and A/V systems. Owner of A/V installation and repair business.