Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Philips 42 not responding to RC I have a Philips 42 TV

Customer Question

Philips 42" not responding to RC

I have a Philips 42" TV (Model 42TA648BX/F7), to which a few months ago I connected a Samsung Blu-ray player via HDMI-1. Starting then the TV wouldn't respond to the remote control; however, it would turn on when turning on the blu-ray player (using the blu-ray remote control); no way to control volume, channels or anything else but manually from the side of the TV.

I disconnected the blu-ray player and still the TV wouldn't respond to the remote control. I've tried unplugging the power, and connecting it to a different power outlet (while all other input unplugged), I've tested the remote control using the cellphone camera method, and I've even tried using a Logitech Harmony RC and didn't work neither.

I downloaded the firmware from the Philips website into a USB flash drive, but couldn't update it because the one I have running on the TV is actually a newer version.

The people in customer service at Philips, are telling me they think is the sensor itself, I’m not sure of this, given the problem started exactly at the same time I connected the blu-ray player.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem.

Sorry for the delay, do you still need assistance with this?

Please let me know!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I still need assistance. Do you need any more details?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Do all the buttons on the tv itself work correctly?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the TV works just fine
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the blue ray power cord unplugged as well to make sure it isn't creating some sort of interference?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is unplugged.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
You said you tried two remotes that used to work on the tv and do not now right?

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The original remote used to work with no problem, I just recently bought the harmony remote control. Working fine with other electronics
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
Ok then it definitely sounds like the sensor in the set has failed, I know your doubts beause of coincidence but I will say I have seen weirder. The only two things that could cuase this are the sensor or the main board, but most of the time it is a sensor.

If you know how to use a meter and solder, I can help you repair this yourself. If not then you will need a technician to repair this for you. This normally runs around $200.

Tim
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Let's try that over the weekend, I will not be able to access the tv until Saturday night
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 5 years ago.
No problem, take your time and let me know.

TIm