TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

my tv says my hd tv format not supported for my dvd player.

Customer Question

my tv says my hd tv format not supported for my dvd player. i have replaced the hdmi cable and the dvd and it still givesme the same error. when I press format on the remot it tells me that it is not adjustable. how do i fix this? it was working previously
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, we will need you to look at the back of your TV set and find the serial number. Get the first five letters of that number and get back to me.

Here is the way the serial numbers look --

graphic

Let me know what serial number you have.

Now, unplug the power cord from both your TV and your HDMI equipment. Give it 5 minutes to reset all of them.

Plug in your TV, plug in your equipment. then plug your HDMI cables back in.

If it now works -- GREAT. It's fixed.

But if it still doesn't work, get the serial number.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ds1a0944378571
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is real important.

The reason you unplug the power cords from your TV and HDMI-connected boxes is to reset them. You do have to unplug the boxes, and the TV set for 5 minutes to reset them.

You also have to unplug the HDMI cables.

Then you have to plug the power cords back in.

Turn on the TV and the boxes....THEN you plug the HDMI cables back in so the TV set will RE-RECOGNIZE the HDMI.

Now, if your TV set now recognizes the HDMI and provides a picture, then you are all set.

If you STILL do not get your HDMI connected devices to display a picture, then the TV's MAIN BOARD is bad, and it will need to be replaced.

Now, the part number for that Main board is --

A91F2MMA-003

You can install that main board yourself, so here is some sites that will sell that part to you --

http://www.shopjimmy.com/pandf-a91f2mma-003-digital-main-cba.htm

http://www.encompassparts.com/products/?PNFA91F2MMA-003

http://www.rivervalleyelectronics.net/Philips_A91F2MMA_003_Digital_Main_p/a91f2mma-003.htm

To remove the board you MIGHT need a Torx bit, or a Torx screwdriver, available at hardware stores. You should look at the screws around the outside edge of the rear cover, and around the input jacks to see if they have the Philips + slot or the Torx T-15 * slot.

All you have to do is lay the TV on a blanketed table face down, remove the screws around the outside edge and in the input jack area. Lift the cover off and replace the board with all the input jacks on it. There's some locking plugs on the board, remove them first, then remove the screws on the board, swap it out. then reassemble in reverse order

That's it, you're done, and your HDMI will now function correctly.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now I have a wii that is attached through another hdmi portal on the tv and that works fine. the direct TV DVR is also connected through an HDMI portal and works. it is just the DVD player that I cannot get the TV to recognize. would that still be the main board?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

direct TV DVR is also connected through an HDMI portal and works. it is just the DVD player that I cannot get the TV to recognize. would that still be the main board?

I would REALLY doubt that situation.

When you have 3 Devices connected with HDMI and only one does not work ( you should have mentioned that to me) then I would suspect either --

A ] Your HDMI cable is not good -- Exchange that cable over to a device that does work fine. See if the other unit suddenly doesn't work. If so, your cable is bad.

B ] Your DVD player isn't good -- Take the cable from a good working unit and use it on your DVD. You know that cable is good. Does the DVD still state "Not supported"?

If so, connect that DVD player to your TV set with one of the Composite cables like this one --

graphic

Most people have extras/spares around their homes.

Or you can use a set of High Definition Component Cables like this one --

graphic

They provide a high definition picture, just like HDMI does.

In either case, you get a picture so you can check the DVD's VIDEO RESOLUTION settings in the DVD menu (Dvd must be removed from your player to access the Video resolution setting).

You want to make sure it's set for 1080i only, not 1080P

In that setup menu, you may find an HDMI on/off control. If it's off, you get no picture on the older units, a REAL NEW DVD player with CEC control....you want to turn it off.

I guess I should ask you for the Brand and Model number of your DVD, and see if you just bought it. If so, I'll see if I can get more information on it, so I can walk you through the setup procedure.

I was assuming you had the DVD connected to your TV set for a long time and it was functioning fine before.

If you have any questions, just ask

Tips are greatly appreciated !

Thank you.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well the DVD player that was set up with the TV had been connected and worked, then suddenly got this error. I initially assumed the DVD player was cheap and took a crap so I just replaced that. after still getting the same error with a new DVD player I ran out and replaced the HDMI cable. the old one was a 1080p
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, so did you set up your new player to 1080i?

If it's set to 1080P, then your TV set may not be capable of reading 1080P signals, and that's a major concern of mine.

I'd even try 720P, then try 480i also. The reason -- If your TV recognizes 480i with the HDMI signal coming from the DVD player, it tells us your problem is NOT the Cable and NOT the HDMI EDID !

What's the EDID? That's the Electronic Digital ID. All players have different EDIDs. If your TV does not recognize the EDID it will not let you watch it.

If your old DVD worked fine before, I'm beginning to suspect the TV's main board MORE.....

If your new DVD player is a Samsung, Sony, Panasonic....those are well known brands and your TV should recognize it with no problems.

If it's a Hyaguchi.....then that's a problem brand.

Your other devices tell me your main board is ok, but your new and old DVD seem to tell me your main board doesn't recognize DVDs OR your DVDs are set to 1080P right out of the box. Your TV does 1080i, and 720P and 480i, not 1080P.

That why I had you connect the standard cables to set your Video output's resolution.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did connect the dvd player via the standard cables and was able to get a picture but in black and white only ( tried multiple dvd's that I know are in color) the previous dvd player was the 1080p and the TV did work with it fine for months until one day that I recieved that "format not supported". The new DVD player is Sony.
you can see where my confusion comes in since if the main board went bad then I shouldbe be able to get images through the DVR either. while I would love to try to switch the imput but on the new dvd player it doesnt give me an option to change
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Did you plug that cable into the BACK of the TV set or the RIGHT SIDE?

You do need to connect it to the RIGHT SIDE for color.

If you did do that, then I need your Sony DVD player's model number

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it was the right side, im just returning everything at this point
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

You have another box/device to connect to that input? Another box would help us to know if the DVD is causing the problem or if the TV is causing the problem.

Most boxes will have a set of the Yellow White and Red outputs.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have moved the dvr to the other inputs and they all work
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok so the DVR verifies the TV's input jacks work fine, but the Sony DVD player's Yellow white and Red outputs deliver a black and white picture ? That's not good if that's the facts, because there is no setting inside the Sony DVD player that would make the DVD deliver a black and white signal.

It sounds like the DVD player is just plain BAD....

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It just got returned to the store... And still don't have a working dvd player greets
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

And still don't have a working dvd player greets

I don't understand that...

Let's deal with the two cable connections we've been dealing with.

The Composite -- good color?

The HDMI -- Picture??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The composite cable doesn't give color, the hdmi cable doesn't give anything
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, it's time to look more closely at the DVD player.

Would you get the Brand name and the Model of your DVD player for me please?

Is it the same as the one you returned to the store, or did you switch to a different model? I suspect you got the same model, and if you did, then there's a setup issue we need to look at more closely.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is an rca drc2777a
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

Great....that's not helping us.

graphic

RCA DVD players are built in China. The problem that creates is that there are like 3 different manufacturers in China that put the RCA logo on their brand. All 3 are different, and you end up having all sorts of problems trying to support them.

Usually RCA's website will direct you to the actual manufacturer's site, but you must have a valid model number.

DRC2777A looks correct, I even tried DRC 277 but it didn't come up as a valid number either.

Can I be honest and direct with you?

Ever since RCA moved manufacturing to China, their TV sets and other equipment has been a real nightmare for TV Techs to work on.

And if we can't get RCA to provide support like they did when they were in Indianapolis, our customers get stuck with equipment that can't be repaired or supported by technicians.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the fact is I would upgrade to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic or LG.

They have kept their service and support. Working on their stuff is FUN...not a nightmare.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My concern is even the Sony dvd player that I bought and returned was giving the same error. While I agree the rca was a cheapo pos it did work at some poiint . I have a. Hard time believing that 2 diff dvd players by 2 different manufacturer's would go bad/be bad out of the box.I think that while you may have. Been on the right path thinking it was the main board on the tv itself I don't get why it is only not recognizing dvd players but does recognizes other equipment
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 years ago.

I find that odd too. It's almost like an entire CLASS of Devices has been completely erased from your TV's EDID table.

I'm not a software engineer so my experience in developing Edid tables on hardware is nil. But it does raise a point...and that is the possibility that Edid tables could lose an entire TYPE/Class of Devices like the DVD. Drop one digit, and it's dropped 256 devices.

My gut instinct when I see ONE DVD not connect to a TV set has been to replace the main board in the TV set, and I really think we've come full circle

I suggest you take a look above to get that part and sites again.