Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My LG TV turns on then shuts off

My LG TV turns on, then goes off right away before the screen comes on.

Make: LG
Model: 50pk550-uo

Already Tried:
Unplugging for 5 min then plugging in only the TV

Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Hello. I will be glad to assist you.

How long have you had this set for?

Did the problem occur after a storm or power outage in your area?

Also, is the standby light on the front of the TV blinking at all?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i purchased this set over a year ago...it worked fine last night and no storm has been around here for quite some time and there is a red light shining on the right hand side of set, i presume its the remote feature?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

No, the red light would be a standby light, and if it's flashing I need to know if it's flashing continuously, or in a pattern (such as 5 blinks, pause 5 blinks, pause, etc.).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its a continuous red glow, no flashing
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

Thanks.

So when you power on the TV, the set will shut itself right down, there are no blinking lights correct?

Also, when you turn it on, does the screen light up at all, and do you hear a click when the power button is pressed?

Lastly, is this something you're looking to repair yourself, or are you looking for a diagnosis and repair estimate?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can hear the tv "click" when i turn it on. The screen just begins to turn on then shuts itself off. Thirdly, i would just like the answer to whats wrong with it, then i can decide to either fix it myself or take it somewhere.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

When the screen just begins to turn on then shuts itself off, is there an audible "click" when this happens?

Also, just to confirm, no blinking lights on the set when it shuts itself off correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is a click when it is turned on and shuts off...there are no blinking lights displayed on the front of the tv
Expert:  Aric replied 5 years ago.

The fact that it clicks then shuts itself off. would indicate that there is a short inside the set stopping it from fully powering up.

It is most probable that there is a failure on the power supply board inside the TV. Commonly the capacitors on this board will receive a surge and then fail.

They can sometimes be visually verified by removing the rear of the set and inspecting them for bulges or leaking fluid at the top or the base of the caps. This is the most common mode of failure for these sets.

The capacitors are located on the power board inside the set, where the AC cord plugs into and can be replaced by a Tech for no more than $150 parts and labor if this is the case. The power board itself will run you roughly between $300-$400 to have replaced.

Unfortunately there is no sequence of buttons or reset you can perform to get the set working again.

Do you have any experience testing live voltages, or soldering on electronic equipment?

If not, then I would suggest using the link below to locate a technician in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com/

If you need further assistance, let me know.